=?iso-8859-1?Q?B=D6C?=: Sometimes more Amazing then othertimes.

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Mon Mar 1 20:44:25 EST 1999

DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

> y'know i woulda thought that a present-day BOC would be something to cringe
> about, like present-day Kansas or BTO or something, but the devotion shown by
> you and others here has suggested otherwise...

It definitely is otherwise, since BÖC is wholly unpopular there have
been many misconceptions about them. And they are arguably even more
commanding live today then they have ever been.

> but PLEASE tell me there's some kinda room for improv in there, longer
> versions, etc. >>>they dont go through the exact same motions every show,
> right?

I don't know if room for improvement is exactly how I would put it, we
could talk about what songs we would like to hear over others but that's
only opinions, but it does seem to me that some shows are pulled off
better than others. Saw them live back in '97 at an outdoor rock fest,
they started late so they had to shorten there set, the audience wasn't
that responsive, they didn't seem to be having a lot fun, and the show
suffered a bit for it. In '98 I saw them again in a club, it was packed,
the audience was wild, everybody was singing along, Buck spent some time
standing on one of the monitors leering out at the crowd, the sound was
perfect, you could tell they were loving it, there was no way they could
of improved that show, it was GREAT! I don't think their repetitive, not
for a band, like some of other groups I'm into I really only see them
once a year, have only seen the cult 3 times, so the "finger crackin'"
bit Buck does during Cities really isn't old for me, if I was a roadie
it would probably get a bit repetitive, but since a lot of there fans
only see them a few times a year they really don't have to change a lot.
Out of the three times I have caught them live there set list has
changed, saw them in 96, 97, and 98, especially in 98 due to Heaven
Forbid, right now seems to be one of the best times to catch a Cult
show.

> i was given their 2nd/3rd lps years ago; think i'll have to play 'em in the
> car on the way to work this week...i mean, i'm more familiar w/BOC than i
> was/am with, say, foghat; just didnt figure them to endure like this (at least
> to those for whom they do)...

> decades...
>
> ja ne!

Reading the last few posts on this mail group definitely reinforces the
"different strokes for different fokes" philosophy, I personally never
really developed any liking for Hawkwind myself. But one thing I'll say
about both Hawk and Cult fans though, both bands seem to extract a
devotion from there fans I have rarely ever seen, might not be for
everybody, but that's why we have Spice Girls ;-).

Laj.