Re: BÖC: Sometimes more Amazing then othertimes.

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 2 06:29:53 EST 1999

>> From:          Laj Waldner <erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM>
> DASLUD at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > well anyway, "room for improv"  as in "room for improvisation" as in "jamspace
> > within the arrangements".....
> >
> > ja ne!
>
> My apologies, misinterpreted your original post, didn't mean to offend.
> I was commenting vaguely on the last few posts I have read regarding
> BÖC's live shows as of late. Improvisation? Well they seem to have a
> certain way they play some songs live, sometimes differing substantially
> from the studio recording, but I guess since they do this the same way
> show after show it's not improvising. People have told me that Buck does
> change his soloing sometimes.
> But all in all from what I have heard they do very little improvisation,
> though there are some people that have seen 100+ shows that are probably
> better equipped to answer this question, if they care to chime in. . .

We have to remember that we're talking about BOC, not Little Feat or
the Allman Brothers.  BOC's music is somewhat orchestrated,
consisting of definite set pieces.  Jamming has its place, but isn't
nec. appropriate for what BOC is trying to achieve onstage.  Even an
instrumental piece like Buck's Boogie is pretty well
orchestrated--i.e. each solo is of a determined length.  The only
tune that might be considered a jam is [TC]tLDoM, where BD goes off
for as long as he wants.

BOC has pretty much kept to this pattern throughout their history.
But think about it:  go to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert.  Although we
might think of them as jammin', good-ole boys, they play very
orchestrated arrangements of their songs too!  In the old days, it
used to blow my mind how LS played every song just like the
record--no jamming whatsoever.

theo
[who hasn't seen 100-plus shows, but probably has seen them 50-plus
times]