Sometimes_more_Amazing_then___________?=

Wed Mar 3 11:21:08 EST 1999

On ons 3 mar 1999 10.11 +0000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> as for the flailings of mr. peart, i guess one would have to assume to
begin
> with that there was such a thing as a "good" drum solo...

     I think there *is* (though I shan't comment on Peart).  I've
seen Al B. give some extremely entertaining drum solos live--though
the "performance" aspect added to them considerably and I'm not
sure they would translate to an audio recording.  Similarly, I
was awestruck watching the Kingston Wall drummer do a solo on
a video tape--again, it was impressive combination of auditory
and visual experience.

     I think it's easier to have interesting percussion solos if
there are multiple performers.  It's just hard for one drummer to
create something on a "standard" rock kit to hold people's interest
for very long.  There's a limitation on the variety of sound which
can be produced.

Cheers,
Carl

--