OFF: The Deviants Have Left the Planet

Thu Mar 4 07:48:04 EST 1999

> "Let's Loot The Supermarket" was the only song from the 'Screwed Up' EP
> that was inexplicably left off the last Deviants leftovers collection on
> Captain Trip - it's my favorite song from that 7" (which is why my band
> covers it ... BTW is it vaguely about cannibalism or have I learned the
> lyrics completely wrong?).

Dunno, I could never make out much of the lyrics except the refrain! :)
It's itself a sort-of reworking of "Let's Loot the Supermarket" off of
_Disposable_.

> I assume that "Memphis Psychosis" is the track that Mick did with a full
> band at the two Terrastock festivals?  (something along the lines of "I
> knew I shouldn't have taken those funny pills that guy in the men's room
> gave me")  Does it say if the track was recorded there
> (Providence RI or SF
> CA)?  If so, it'll feature ex-Hawkwinder current-Bevis Fronder Ade Shaw on
> bass.

Yep, same track.  "Oh shit - here comes the monolith!"  And yes, it's from
Terrastock in 1977, with Andy Colquhoun, Ade Shaw, and Andy Ward.  (There's
also versions on _The Deathray Tapes_ and _Gringo Madness_.)

> Is there stuff from any of the shows Mick has done recently (the last 5
> years or so) with Larry Wallis?

Sadly not...

I think one other track is a duplicate of a previously available one,
"Gunfire in the Night", from _The Deathray Tapes_.

Overall it's perhaps a little patchier than other recent MF product, but
that's partly the nature of the beast, being a compilation from various
sources.  Still, the best tracks are as good as any, esp. "Aztec Calendar",
worth the asking price alone.  Probably not a good starting point, but then
what is?!?

- Andy