BOC: Palo Alto 3/3

Chris Baker Nebosuke at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 5 03:27:50 EST 1999

(crosspost from AOL)

--As noted, the show was taped for the C.C. Rock show on cable television; it
seemed to be just two cameras with one operator. He left (what I took to be)
the master shot camera alone and was getting closeups etc. with the other.  I
don't have cable and don't know what this show is, anybody..?  I'm hoping it's
a format that allows more than, uh, three songs or something...and I'm
particularly hoping that Astronomy makes the cut, since it was a remarkably
fine version.  Wondering if they taped (or will tape others)...this show by
itself was a good one for them to catch, good sound and good energy.

I thought the sound was better than the Slim's S.F. show; neither was
exceptionally loud but the balance seemed

--In introducing "In Thee" EB said it was a song by Allen, "who'll be
rejoining us soon"...maybe he's seen the on-line speculation about Allen not
rejoining the band.  Having Al P. on stage for BD to play off of added a
different dimension to the show, and I enjoyed the shows a lot and felt lucky
to catch them, but it's good news that AL will be back soon.

--BD (during prolonged tuning-up before "In Thee"): "Acoustic players do this
all the time...tune up for ten minutes"

--DM's bass solo was the best one I've heard from him, and he had the crowd
with him in a big way

--When they returned for the encore they started singing (or rather, sang all
of) the vocal intro to "Runaround Sue" and damn, I thought they were gonna go
for it...would have been something..."Jailbreak" instead, and then that newly
retooled "Red and the Black", with the guitar tradeoffs at the end between BD
and AP.  Actually when Allen returns I hope the band gives some thought to
keeping this twist in it--rather than all three guitars just blazing away
simultaneously in the final stretch.  It worked in "I Am the One..."

Feeling lucky to have caught both "Astronomy" and "...Last Days of May" in the
same stretch of shows...and exceptional versions of both...and really hoping
that videotape gets aired.