OFF: Orange Goblin

Sat Mar 6 04:34:32 EST 1999

On fre 5 mar 1999 18.03 -0700 "Kevin Sommers" <novadrive at PANGEATECH.COM>
wrote:
> For all the Monster Magnet/Kyuss fans out there:
> While looking in the Orb section, I stumbled across a CD by
> Orange Goblin called "time travelling blues" and it had a cheesy,
> trippy, spacey cover, and great song titles, so I couldn't pass
> it up.  It's sludgy, dumb stoner rock - I like it!
> Found some info here:
> http://www.tyler.demon.co.uk/riseabove/bands/goblin.html

     Web site courtesy of my Cantabrigian co-hort, Dave Tyler
(who likes Hawkwind, of course :)  Bastard gets promo CDs of
all the Rise Above releases!

     Yup, fine band OG--I'm sure there are few others on this
list who will agree.  They've transformed themselves from
slap-happy pub giggers to modest cult phenomenon since I first
saw them, and deservedly so.  Their live performances have
really come a long way.  Some of my friends thought they stole
the show from Cathedral when opening for them in London last
month.  Their first album _Frequencies from Planet 10_ is IMO
similarly excellent.  Fun band :)

     They're at that difficult stage now where they really
need to tread the boards and gain an wider audience, but are
hampered by needing their day-jobs!  If they got picked up
by a major that could help them tour more widely I think they
could go somewhere.  Rise Above now has a US distribution
deal, which might help them considerably.

Cheers,
Carl

ObTape: Orange Goblin/Spiritual Beggars/Fu Manchu, London, Feb 98

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk