OFF:On Trial

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Sun Mar 7 09:34:51 EST 1999

Hej,

375. ON TRIAL- STENGADE 30, KØBENHAVN 3/5/99 50 Kroner

        This was the New Day Rising CD release party and Richard Allen from
Delerium records came all the way from England and brought the new CD.  A
lot of people showed up for the show. The place was pretty full and the
crowd was very into it, which was really great for the band as they sounded
great... Anyway, I showed up early and met up with Magnus's friend, Morten.
Slowly, all the people I knew started to trickle in: Christian (former
guitar player in Narnia, mantric muse), Magnus, Michael, Rick Gelling, and
the guys in On Trial and Blind Man Buff. I had nice chats with the band in
the dressing room and exchanged the first On Trial 7" and lp for some
Delerium CD's with Richard Allen.  Everyone was getting really stoned in
the dressing room, it was too smokey for me. Not that the club was any less
smokey.. ugh...  Something you have to live with if you like live music in
denmark, eveyone smokes..  The band came on about 11:15 and started with
slowly with Indict me and then picked up the pace with Do you see Her and
Pot of Gold and 5 years ahead of my Time by the Third Bardo. The sound was
excellent and Sebastian did a great job with the light show. The spinning
turntables looked really great! Sleeper was next by Flashin'ghast and Long
Time Gone. The band was really heavy during this period.  After they ripped
up Cast it aside, they played a series of spacey numbers, Human Twin off
the 70 kilometers of Underwater Nothingness Katpain CD. This was the only
older song they played. Blood Butterfly was next and sounded excellent.
This is a song where they should really space it out and jam but they did
not do that on any songs except for Slip inside this House, which was the
highlight of the show at 17 minutes long! Awesome.. It is too bad they feel
they have to play it safe now and can't do that more often, as some of the
songs are perfect for that type of jamming. Oh well.. that was the end of
the normal set. The band would come back out and do a series of cover
songs. They started with Signed DC by LOVE. They do a very differenet
version from Bevis Frond.  This was followed by a ripping version of
Psychotic Reaction. They left the stage for real this time and I did not
think they would come back but they did and finished off with a killer
version of Action by the MC5!  I think this caught people by suprise as I
don't think they have played this song ever as On Trial. I think the side
project that Morten, Henrik and Guf have they play it but I have missed
them both times that I have heard they were playing.. Anyway, it was a
great great show about 77 minutes long.  Excellent show..  I just wish they
would space out and jam a bit more.

Set List:

Indict Me, Do you see her?. Pot of Gold, 5 years ahead of my Time, Sleeper,
Flashin'ghast, Long Time Gone, Cast it aside, Human Twin, Blood Butterfly,
Slip inside this HOuse

Encores: Signed DC, Psychotic Reaction, Action

P.S. Anyone have the set list for the Darxtar show in Stockholm 8-20-97?

scott

ObMD- Dark Sun- jonkoping 8/98

R. Scott Heller PhD
Hagedorn Research Institute