OFF: Dead Remotes

Mark Edmonds edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK
Tue Mar 9 10:31:00 EST 1999

From: Mark Edmonds
Date: 1999-03-09 15:31

>I'm thinking I have remotes for two JVC videos (you can switch one
>remote to "A" or "B" depending which VCR you want to control), a
>Ferguson VCR, a Saisho TV and Aiwa tape deck, and a Marantz CD player.
>The JVC has about 30 buttons alone on the remote. Would one Universal
>Remote handle all that? Maybe by having 30 buttons and 6 different modes?
>It`d be worth buying if it could but....
>FoFP

If its any help, I use a Sony AV2000 remote. It comes preprogrammed with
various codes but if your machine isn't included, you need to teach it by
pressing the buttons on the old remote. Some controls it can learn, some it
can't (example being forward skip or backwards skip on a Teac CD deck). For
general tidyness, a universal remote is nice but it can't do everything and
I now have the bizarre situation of having to keep my old remotes going
either for codes which the Sony can't learn or because there are too many
buttons on the original remote (such as my JVC video remote which has a flip
up lid revealing another bank of buttons...).

Mark