Dawn of Hawkwind - new CD

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Mar 9 14:18:17 EST 1999

Kevin Sommers writes:

> > What with 4 albums called Master of the Universe, 3 called Silver
> > Machine and 2 called "Welcome to the Future I suppose someone had to
> > make life worse for Hawkwind Kollectors. Now there's to be a new CD
> > called "Dawn of Hawkwind" which is unrelated to the boot CD of the same
> > title.
> >
> > I gather this is to be early Brock/Hawkwind Zoo/Group X stuff.
> >
> > FoFP
>
> Here's some info (from here: http://www.artist-shop.com/index.htm):
> "And if that's not enough, here's what's on the horizon of future releases
> through Voiceprint!
>
> Hawkwind/Dawn of Hawkwind - Hawkwind were formed from the ashes of the
> Hawkwind musicians collective in West London in 1969, with their self titled
> debut album released in 1970 on Liberty Records. Their main songwriter Dave
> Brock (vocals, guitars, keyboards) has assembled this collection of studio
> and live recordings, which cover the years 1966 to the early 70's. There are
> three different acts featured on this release: The Dharma Blues Band,
> Hawkwind Zoo and Dave Brock solo. All tracks are sequenced in chronological
> order and are previously unreleased or alternative versions. The first 1,000
> copies will come with a 32 page A5 booklet, which will feature previously
> unseen photographs and reproductions from contemporary Hawkwind tour
> programmes. This Hawkwind scrapbook has been assembled by Dave Brock and
> will ensure that the initial pressings become desirable collector's items."
>
> Is this just a thinly disguised way of, for the ten-trillionth time,
> recycling the same old stuff we've been already assaulted with, or truly
> something worthwhile?  Hmmmm....

Actually I'm guessing this must be the 66-70 release that has been
promised for a while now and if so it'll be an official release and
could be interesting although I'm curious to know exactly what
"unreleased or alternative versions" is going to mean in reality.
Possibly remixed versions of the earlier releases??   I don't know
how much else Hawkwind Zoo did except for the album that already
exists and to the best of my knowledge (someone please correct me
if I'm wrong) there were no recordings made of the period when Brock
was playing with Dharma Blues - I've got a Dharma Blues album but it was
released after DB left.    There are a couple of tracks on "White Boy
Blues" but I can't remember if Brock features on these.    If there is
really some previously unreleased material coming out here it could be
an extrememly interesting release IMO!    But I'm only dreaming, I
guess!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk