BOC: Clarification on upcoming BOC releases

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Tue Mar 9 23:47:08 EST 1999

"BREVARD, Adrian R." wrote:

> JS>A few clarifications to my previous post:
>
> JS>1. WHY a new BOC compilation?  Because Sony owns the rights, and they
> can do what they want in terms of releasing material BOC recorded when
> under contract to Columbia.  BOC really has no control over it.
>
> ...and possibly another indication that HF has sold beyond expectations.
>
> JS>2. King Biscuit live CD will consist of tracks from the (I believe 7)
> KBFH broadcasts of BOC shows - this spans the years '75 to '86.  "Wings
> of Mercury" was done in the '86 broadcast, so this tune *might* be
> included.  Bolle is of the opinion that there will be less of the "hits"
> on this CD, and more obscure stuff included.  Some tunes captured during
> these concerts (which may or may not be on the CD) include: Stairway to
> the Stars, Morning Final, Divine Wind, Lips in the Hills, Unknown
> Tongue, Wings of Mercury, 5 guitars (mark II and III versions).
>
> ...Hmmm interesting.  A fairly obscure band playing obscure numbers on a
> live album they expect to sell?  Not!

Why not? it won't brake any sales records definitely, and they will
probably have the big three on there, but after that. . . Columbia did
re-release there entire collection on CD, and Sony's Rewind just
recently re-released Cultosaurus Erectus, and MF is releasing a Gold
Tyranny (no big three to be found), so there must be some interest in
obscure Cult. Any tunes other than those big three are pretty obscure,
regardless.

> Sure the big three will be on there
> along with a fair number of songs that people may recognize.  I like your
> "may or may not" list but will the casual BOC fan recognize many of those
> songs?  Sheoot just give me a couple of those and a bunch I've heard 10
> times, its live BOC so I'd be happy.

What a perfect time to expand ones live BÖC collection, and listen to
some stuff you might of missed, if you have heard it before, or if most
of it's material is on one of the other three live albums, what's the
point.

> JS>3. New BOC CD on CMC International -- will most likely NOT be a live
> album.  This "rumor" came up because some online fans thought that a
> live album from the 90s would be a good thing, and because CMC has
> released live albums by some of their artists.  However, word has it
> that BOC will be doing a new studio album for release next year, and
> that no-one will hear any of the tunes live until the album is released.
>  Personally, I hope they title it "Ezekiel's Wheel".
>
> EW lives.  It would be kewl and ya I get cised for so more studio material.
> I know I am past the point of not wanting outside influence in the song
> writing department, however this band needs help whenever they can get it.
> As long as its similar in quality to HF I'll buy it.

True, be great to hear Danny's material on the next album, Eric and Buck
seem to have a hard time pumpin' out the tunes (I would rather have
quality over quantity though), but still, Allen and Danny's input would
probably increase production at the ol' BÖC music factory ;-).

>As an aside, didn't
> Judas Priest release a studio album on CMC and then followed it up with the
> double live disc less than a year later?  That timing could work for BOC
> also.  Bet dollars to donuts that if a second CMC-BOC album sells well we
> will get a live one within a year.  I can wait, I think.
>
> >4. According to Chuck Saden (who was instrumental in getting the Ricky
> Browning benefit to happen), a CD from the Buck Dharma Band show is
> coming along.  There were a few tracks that needed cleaning up, but that
> Buck is definitely planning on releasing this CD.  Don't know if it will
> include the whole show, but it definitely should include some tasty BOC
> and Buck Dharma tracks (see the FAQ for the setlist for this show).
>
> Hope I can get it through CDNow.
>
> Theo>This is really better news than a live album from the current lineup,
> at least for now.  I say this because it shows that CMC has
> confidence in the band, and suggests that HF probably sold pretty
> well.  Anyone have any sales figures?  Also, it means that a
> subsequent CMC live album [bet the farm that we'll see one
> eventually] will feature more 'new' stuff.  Anyone else wonder if
> this news coincides with Al P's presence in the band?  He might be a
> more fertile songwriter/contributor than AL at this point in time.
>
> Dude will you please stop this.  Al P. is not joining BOC permanently, I
> will not allow this to happen.  No way no how.  Al P is too vital to
> Savatage; I'm a realist, Svatage has much more future ahead of them than BOC
> and Savatage is where Al P. belongs.  Ya Al P. is a better guitar player,
> vocalist and probably writer than Allen.  Al P. also plays a mean keyboard
> but I think Allen's got him on that one.
>
> >Too bad they won't audition the new stuff live, but that could always
> change if the band is really hot for the new stuff.  Or, it could
> mean that they will just concentrate on touring this summer, and will
> hole up in the studio next winter to woodshed and write new stuff.
> Opinions?
>
> I dunno, I hope they do not audition potential new songs.  Hearing SYIB and
> HM for years before ever seeing them on the record kinda made me feel likeI
> was buying a used CD.  Besides it will be great discussing fresh new BOC
> music that no one has ever heard before.  Ya take the long cold winter and
> hunker down boys.  I'm getting tired of wearing heavy coats to clubs.  Leave
> it in the car and you catch pnemonia running to your ride.  Take it in and
> you sweat or carry the beast.  Niether way works for me.

Don't ya guys have coat checks down there?

> OK so I hope you guys stop talking about Al P. as a permanent member of BOC.
> If they try to steal him I'm shooting them all (well not Buck or Danny)
> starting with Schenk.

Well, Eric's cool so give him a 5 minute head start, and due to Bobby's
"stature" you should give him 10 ;-).

Laj.