BOC:

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Wed Mar 10 08:23:36 EST 1999

> Whoo hoo! If they left off Godzilla, I'd buy it for that reason alone,

I dunno - Albert had some interesting solos on some of those.  Then
again, Albert's solos were often "visual" as well as auditory - first
the lasers, then the Godzilla mask and strobes, then the "use anything
in the bar as part of the drumset" approach.

> nevermind what else was on there. I'm of the belief that that song
> hurt the
> band more than anything, big hit and money maker, yes but it also
> caused
> many people to write them off as a joke or novelty band.

Maybe.  I never thought of it so much as a joke.  Actually, the recent I
first picked up a BOC record was because they did a song called
"Godzilla" - I was (and guess I still am) a big Godzilla fan.  The idea
may have been a little silly, but it was a pretty cool riff.

> I suppose I could live with "Reaper".. great song but over exposed and
> over
> played. And as far as "Burnin' for You" is concerned, didn't the KBFH
> shows
> predate that album?

There was at least one "post-Burnin'" KBFH show - in Santa Monica in '86
(captured on the *Into The Crypt Of Rays* boot - BFY is on that CD).

> JS>2. King Biscuit live CD will consist of tracks from the (I believe
> 7)
> KBFH broadcasts of BOC shows - this spans the years '75 to '86.
> "Wings
> of Mercury" was done in the '86 broadcast, so this tune *might* be
> included.  Bolle is of the opinion that there will be less of the
> "hits"
> on this CD, and more obscure stuff included.  Some tunes captured
> during
> these concerts (which may or may not be on the CD) include: Stairway
> the Stars, Morning Final, Divine Wind, Lips in the Hills, Unknown
> Tongue, Wings of Mercury, 5 guitars (mark II and III versions).
>
> ...Hmmm interesting.  A fairly obscure band playing obscure numbers on
> live album they expect to sell?  Not!  Sure the big three will be on
> there
> along with a fair number of songs that people may recognize.  I like
> your
> "may or may not" list but will the casual BOC fan recognize many of
> those
> songs?  Sheoot just give me a couple of those and a bunch I've heard
> 10
> times, its live BOC so I'd be happy.

Well, remember that this is NOT being released by Sony, and KBFH plays
more to niche markets.  Their releases are aimed more at longtime fans
of the band than the casual listener.  Most folks looking to get
introduced to BOC aren't going to grab a live KBFH disc - they're more
likely to pick up one of the (ever increasingly many) BOC compilations
that Sony puts out.

Then again, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of the "big 3" made
it onto that release.

John

John A. Swartz - The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA - jswartz at mitre.org

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to Anger.   Anger leads
to Hate.
Hate leads to SUFFERING."  -- Yoda (Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace)