BOC: Godzilla

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Mar 11 08:06:45 EST 1999

> I cut my teeth on the sainted first 3 albums, but I got a big kick
> out of Godzilla when it came out.

Now, this I hadn't thought of since I became a BOC fan around 1979.
Longtime fans who first heard and saw the band prior to say 1976 may not
appreciate a song like Godzilla since it's quite a bit different from
most of the other stuff BOC had done up to that point (or since for that matter).

>  [never knew it was gay to begin
> with!]

Hey!  My childhood hero is NOT gay.  Maybe that overgrown iguana that
they gave the name "Godzilla" to last year is, but not the REAL Godzilla!

O.K., sorry - some repressed childhood memories just hit me ... :-O

To quote Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything WRONG with it!"

>         Not Gay, more like a tribble, reproducing at will

Ah! "Bi-sexual" I believe was the term Dr. McCoy used...

> Ok, I guess I should clarify. The song doesn't suck. I just got burned out
> on it. Its so expected at their shows. The band *must* be as sick of it as I
> am and it shows.. EB seems almost bored to tears when he introduces it. From
> the time it was released (ok, what year.. 76?) to oh, mid-80's it was played
> incessantly on the radio in my area (and I assume elsewhere in the country)
> to the point where I began to change the station when I heard that familiar
> riff. You still hear it fairly regularly on the "classic rock" stations
> here. Ok, that's fine. Good for the band.. except.. Many younger music fans
> I know only know BOC through that song. They get the joke (that's joke as in
> humorous not as in "a laughing stock"...) but they assume that that is what
> BOC is about.. and so they never bother to go any further. Just as many of
> the younger crowd I've known only know Zappa through "Yellow Snow" which
> while being a great tune, is hardly a hint at what Zappa could do.

O.K., I see your point.

My only real problem with Godzilla (the song) these days is that they
have both the bass and drum solos in it.  It makes the song tedious and
boring.  Danny and Bobby are both fine musicians who should get a moment
to shine - but I wish they wouldn't come back-to-back.  BOC's been doing
drum solos in "Godzilla" for over 20 years now, and it's time to break
things up and put it somewhere else.

John