Godzilla

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Thu Mar 11 10:42:12 EST 1999

Hey, I think you've got something there.. I became a fan the same year
Tyranny & Mutation came out. I guess I'm stuck on the early BOC sound. I
just never really thought of it that way.

And, Godzilla proved his heterosexuality didn't he? He reproduced... Of
course, he may be in the closet.

Was Godzilla what brought you to BOC in the first place? For me it was the
first time I heard "Hot Rails to Hell".

JB ("Rumbles the steel like a dog fight..")

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   John A. Swartz [mailto:jswartz at MITRE.ORG]
                Sent:   Thursday, March 11, 1999 5:07 AM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
                Subject:        BOC: Godzilla

                > I cut my teeth on the sainted first 3 albums, but I got a
big kick
                > out of Godzilla when it came out.

                Now, this I hadn't thought of since I became a BOC fan
around 1979.
                Longtime fans who first heard and saw the band prior to say
1976 may not
                appreciate a song like Godzilla since it's quite a bit
different from
                most of the other stuff BOC had done up to that point (or
since for that matter).

                >  [never knew it was gay to begin
                > with!]

                Hey!  My childhood hero is NOT gay.  Maybe that overgrown
iguana that
                they gave the name "Godzilla" to last year is, but not the
REAL Godzilla!

                O.K., sorry - some repressed childhood memories just hit me
... :-O

                To quote Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything WRONG with
it!"

                >         Not Gay, more like a tribble, reproducing at will

                Ah! "Bi-sexual" I believe was the term Dr. McCoy used...

                > Ok, I guess I should clarify. The song doesn't suck. I
just got burned out
                > on it. Its so expected at their shows. The band *must* be
as sick of it as I
                > am and it shows.. EB seems almost bored to tears when he
introduces it. From
                > the time it was released (ok, what year.. 76?) to oh,
mid-80's it was played
                > incessantly on the radio in my area (and I assume
elsewhere in the country)
                > to the point where I began to change the station when I
heard that familiar
                > riff. You still hear it fairly regularly on the "classic
rock" stations
                > here. Ok, that's fine. Good for the band.. except.. Many
younger music fans
                > I know only know BOC through that song. They get the joke
(that's joke as in
                > humorous not as in "a laughing stock"...) but they assume
that that is what
                > BOC is about.. and so they never bother to go any further.
Just as many of
                > the younger crowd I've known only know Zappa through
"Yellow Snow" which
                > while being a great tune, is hardly a hint at what Zappa
could do.

                O.K., I see your point.

                My only real problem with Godzilla (the song) these days is
that they
                have both the bass and drum solos in it.  It makes the song
tedious and
                boring.  Danny and Bobby are both fine musicians who should
get a moment
                to shine - but I wish they wouldn't come back-to-back.
BOC's been doing
                drum solos in "Godzilla" for over 20 years now, and it's
time to break
                things up and put it somewhere else.

                John