' Zilla

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Thu Mar 11 23:26:48 EST 1999

> Ok, that's done it.. (standing up) My name is Joe and I am a Rush fan. I

I don't hate Rush, although I'll admit the only thing I've got by
them is "Chronicles".

But there IS definitely a Rush vs. BOC thing, and I noticed it long
before joining this list. When I was growing up I had some fans who
were Rush-heads, and there just always seemed to be a rivalry over
whose new album was better, etc.

But I was forced to demure in 1986, when Rush came to the Broome
County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton, New York...with opening
act BLUE OYSTER CULT!

Here's my take on it:  Rush and BOC are somewhat similar in appeal.
Sure, they get lumped into the metal category, but they've both
always been about so much more, and they attract a hardcore following
that's significantly more intelligent than, say, the average Ratt
fan.

They're almost like brothers. Rush is the overachieving, brainy
golden boy, while BOC is the mischievous, always-up-to-no-good
sibling...the one who's constantly being told, "Why can't you be more
upstanding like your brother?" -- in other words, the one I more
closely identify with!

So for me it's a jealousy thing. I like them both, but I prefer BOC
by leaps and bounds...and it's been frustrating to me to see them
flounder while Rush has continued to do so well. I know I shouldn't
try to punish Rush for their success, but I've always been one to
root for the underdog...thus my dedication to Motorhead!

--  Nick