Rush vs. BÖC

Goran Janicijevic simplius at SOFTHOME.NET
Fri Mar 12 12:59:28 EST 1999

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 wrote:

>So let me see if I get this straight...Rush, who put out songs like
>The Trees, By Tor and the Snow Dog, and Am I going Bald, are brainier
>than BOC, who put out songs like Flaming Telepaths, Astronomy and
>Workshop of the Telescopes...

Why don't you compare Let Go, Beat 'em Up and Lonely Teardrops, with
Subdivisions, Distant Early Warning, or Tom Sawyer. The point will be
the same.

And the story is: In the 80-s, one of the most respected band of the
70-s, BÖC, went downhill. Meanwhile, one of the most despised band of
the 70-s, Rush, went uphill, refining their music. For a lot of BÖC
fans, Rush series of excellent albums from Moving Pictures to Presto
was a good encouragement that there is a place for a high imaginative
and intelligent music (also successful) in a decade where only
imbecile MTV appearance could guarantee success.

What Rush did with their career flow, is unique - from critics scorn
to acclaim; evolution from one of the most annoying, to the one of the
finest bands ever. Therefore, ridiculing Geddy's voice is just passé.

Too bad for their future, after the palish Test For Echo, and the
awful Peart's family tragedies.
--
Goran