The Golden Void

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Mar 12 15:00:55 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:41:36 -0000, Marshall Wood <mwood at MY-DEJANEWS.COM>
wrote:

>OK, I'll give this a try.
>Exact title is _Golden Void 1969-1979_ (Purple Pyramid CLP 0471-2).
>Track times are from my CD player.  There is
>nothing new here.  The liner notes were written by Brian Tawn (August 1998).

[...snip...]

This seems to be a compilation entirely of Flicknife material (except for
the Brock interview), so even though I haven't heard it yet, I would
suspect that ...

These are from 'Friends & Relations' vol.2 (and also Weird 106)
>from Weird 106 (not sure if these are edited):
>  We Do It (10:23)
>  Earth Calling (2:58)

>Not sure where the next 3 cuts come from:

This would be the Flicknife single version (B-side of "Valium Ten")
>  Motorhead (3:11) (Brock: g/v/synth, Lemmy: bass, Powell: dr - is that
the single version?)

This would be from 'Friends & Relations' vol.2
>  Spirit of the Age (5:56) (from QS&C, I think)

and this one from 'Friends & Relations' vol.1 (although the timing seems
way off)
>  Robot (live) (5:58) (from PXR5, I think)

and this track also appeared as the B-side of "Whose Gonna Win The War"
(Hawklords version)
>  Time of...  (from Weird 102) (4:06)

It looks like a great compilation of all the essential Flicknife
singles/EPs/comp material (excluding non-Hawkwind material - I think that
"Raj Neesh" and "Caanes Ventacei" are major highlights of the 'Friends &
Relations' series, and it would've been nice to have both sides of Brock's
"Social Alliance" solo 7") except "Drug Cabinet Key" (aka "Flying Doctor")
from 'Friends & Relations' vol.3 - what's up with that?

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com