Off: 101 adjectives

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Mar 12 15:54:49 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:34:10 -0800, Joseph Brooks <Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>
wrote:
>Go figure.. I always counted Peart's lyrics as one of Rush's strong points.
>I don't understand what is bad about *most* of his stuff. (everyone misses
>once in a while..). Who do you consider to be a "good" lyricist then?

Anyone who doesn't base their lyrics on the absurd overblown ravings of
spiteful literary hack / bad armchair philosopher Ayn Rand?  (sorry, any
right-wing libertarians on the list can flame me via PERSONAL Email,
please; and if anyone has ever read a book worse than 'Atlas Shrugged' -
I'd love to hear about it)  Robert Calvert or Richard Meltzer, for instance.

And while we're on the subject - male singers with weird high-pitched
voices don't *have* to be annoying, as long as they don't screech.  David
Thomas (Pere Ubu) and Fred Cole (a zillion bands over the last 30+ years,
from the Weeds to Dead Moon) are two of my favorite rock singers, but their
voices are definitely an acquired taste.  At least they sound like weird
guys, not like castratti.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com