BOC: KBFH, "Zilla , Rush and Boston

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Mar 12 17:32:25 EST 1999

My oh my what yummy offerings the list has today...lets get started.

JS>Now, this I hadn't thought of since I became a BOC fan around 1979.
Longtime fans who first heard and saw the band prior to say 1976 may not
appreciate a song like Godzilla since it's quite a bit different from
most of the other stuff BOC had done up to that point (or since for that
matter).

Well I was there pretty much at the start and I loved 'Zilla on first
listen.  The thunder, the bottom, the riff.  Very cool song. However after
hearing this song close to a thousand times it feels redundant and stale.

>  [never knew it was gay to begin
> with!]

JS>Hey!  My childhood hero is NOT gay.  Maybe that overgrown iguana that
they gave the name "Godzilla" to last year is, but not the REAL Godzilla!

Digital Godzilla, definitely fruity.  Cardboard Godzilla all lizard.  Mind
you no one ever saw Mrs. 'Zilla but judging by the looks of 'Zilla jr. I'd
keep her hidden too.

JS>Danny and Bobby are both fine musicians who should get a moment
to shine - but I wish they wouldn't come back-to-back.

Agreed this is pointless.  Last I saw, Danny's solo was flaming.  He put a
little bit of everything into it.  Jazz, funk, rock dem strings were
singing.  Bobby's solo was energetic and good but a real let down following
Danny.  BOC, so unconventional.  If you want to give these guys a chance to
show their stuff  with solo's use a more approrpiate song.  I nominate
Buck's Boogie.  Freeform it and let everybody take a shot in an extended jam
version.

JB>Ok, that's done it.. (standing up) My name is Joe and I am a Rush fan.

JB You the man!  I am no die hard Rush fan but I think some of the criticism
they absorb on this list is idiotic and ironic.  Here we are all talking
about the "thinking man's heavy metal" outfit and the "original space lords"
themselves.  Yet Rush who has meant as much to the evolution of rock and
roll as anyone gets trashed like there's no tomorrow.  Sometimes I really
belive its because financially they have had more success than BOC and HW
combined.  Now its not everyone on this list that does it, but certianly no
one gets more heat than Rush.  Its ok though, Geddy Neil and Alex are
laughing all the way to the bank.

>while for the most part rush annoys the heck outta me, i give them credit
for
being their naturally clunky selves and succeeding at it

Ok thats a start.  Their music is not for everyone; you can love it or shove
it, but do give them some credit.  I make no secret that I do not like
Metallica or the Rolling Stones.  I do credit Metallica for keeping heavy
music on the radio, they are very much alone (at least in my market) so
thats a lot of pressure on them to continue to be successful.  Now the
Stones, well they are too old for this and their music shows it.  However as
long as their die hards want to see them play, play they will. I truly
beleive they are not in it for the bucks.  Ya the money is fine but if
people want them to tour and make albums then Stones will oblige them.  Hats
off to both of the Stones and Metallica.

>I didn't see the recent movie, but didn't I read somewhere that this
Godzilla was a hermaphrodite?  Oh, no, wait, they were talking about
Geddy...

See there ya go again taking digs at my man Geddy.  C'mon Theo you play an
axe for a living, how about a little professional respect?  I know you're
just jesting but at times its hard to know when you are serious.

JS>For those of you that don't know, thought I'd list here the tasty BOC
tracks that KBFH has to choose from from their old BOC broadcasts:

My oh my this is a job for the SETLIST MASTER!  Hope he gets todays digest.

>Rush is an example of a band where the vocals ruin the music for me.  The
same
goes for Led Zep and Yes (not to mention screech-metal bands like Judas
Priest - eek!)  These
falsetto singers sound like they'd be better suited for the Vienna Boy's
Choir.
I'll take Brock or Lemmy's raspy bark any day.
Cheers,
     Chris

Your kidding right?  Come on your joking aren't ya?  Serious?  Whew I've
heard Brock and I've heard Lemmy and both rank just about at the bottom of
lead singers.  Low is kewl but so is the old high pitched shriek if it fits
the music.

>Should I ask your opinion of Boston?

Oh puhlease, never mention Boston.

JB>Hehe, now you're punching my buttons.. I absolutely detest the band
Boston
and anyone who sounds like them. Blech! Its over-produced, homogenized,
cliché'd.. and just plain indigestible. Rush is 10 times the band Boston is,
100 times.. I could go on..Did I mention that I don't care for Boston?

Its official JB, we are related.  Now add a few more zeros to that number. I
dislike some groups and probably used the word "hate" but I truly HATE this
band.  Respect their accomplishments but hate them anyway.

>But there IS definitely a Rush vs. BOC thing, and I noticed it long
before joining this list. When I was growing up I had some fans who
were Rush-heads, and there just always seemed to be a rivalry over
whose new album was better, etc.

Ah c'mon Nick, we were having fun with this thing, getting all emotional and
choosing sides.   Now you come in with calm, reason and rationality.  No
fair.

Theo>Lemmy be the man!  Someone was mentioning a while back that
Motorhead's got a new live set coming out.  Any idea when that's
happening?

A grade schooler for the raspy barky sound.  Jon Oliva is da man amongst all
the little boys, no one sounds more sinister than Big Bad Jon.  Ya, sure, go
run for your Motorhead and Sabbath collections, I'll whip out just one album
against all your comers.  Dr. Butcher babee, Dr., Butcher hehehehehehehehehe

Well its been fun gang...please don't take me too serious OK?

Good Weekend

Ghost in the Ruins

NP: Queensryche - Promise Land (more high brow music?  I don't think so)