HW/OFF: Support College Radio Music...

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 14 04:45:52 EST 1999

-------Thanks for your extensive reply, Keith

 On the ones we've been discussing, I'll go through a bit of anecdotal
 seek-and-find here...

 >>Sundial--Return Journey
 >>Sundial--Other Way Out

 I think I found both of these in a store (My Generation in Cleveland) for
 about $12 or $13 apiece.  Both domestic releases (GaAs).

---Very reasonable. I'd gladly pay that for these discs. Okay, upon
consideration of some of the replies to my orig. plea for CD-R's, I've
considered the possibility that I may have been a bit penny-pinching, and
since I now have the opportunity to air this stuff, I've just decided I'm
going to invest a little extra now...

 >>Darxtar--Darker

 Somebody in Sweden (was it Henrik or Johan?) managed to come across
 (seemingly) the very last couple of copies in existence still in the
 marketplace, and thankfully picked up a copy for me.  Earlier, I had traded
 for a tape of this album, which I've already passed onto someone else at
 Strange Daze '98.

---Ouch; if I'd been aware of this, I'd have tried to get one...

 >>Darxtar--Daybreak
 >>Spacious Mind--Cosmic Minds at Play
 >>Spacious Mind--Organic Mind Solution
 >>Spacious Mind--Sailing the Seagoat

 All four of these were purchased directly from Garageland in Umeå by Johan
 Edlundh (IIRC) as part of a mass boc-l order project, which didn't quite go
 smoothly, as Garageland was slow at every turn responding.  But I also
 bought a used copy of Daybreak for a friend, from somebody who posted on a
 newsgroup...I think it was $15 ppd. Not a great deal, but still a few
 dollars off.

---Still not bad.

 >>Melting Euphoria--Through the Strands of Time

 This one I bought directly from the band at Strange Daze '98 for a mere $10.
 They sold lots of these I believe.

---Any chance one of these gigs willl make it to the West Coast???

 >>Melting Euphoria--Upon the Solar Winds

 I think I found this in a store right here in Columbus (Singing Dog), as
 they've always been pretty good about bringing in Cleopatra stuff.  Probably
 $13 for this one.

 >>Word of Life--Dust

 I had traded for a tape of this one (which I still have), but while I was in
 Pittsburgh recently to see Black Sabbath, I made my usual trip to Dave's
 Music Mine (a place I've shopped at for 20 years (honest!), although it was
 known as Garbage Records when I was 16 and found Hawkwind vinyl there) and
 found a used CD copy for $6.  Those are moments I don't forget!!  (Like the
 time I found Dead Flowers' Smell the Fragrence for $3 here in Columbus!)

---Oh yeah, that's a deal to remember... :)

 >>Saddar Bazaar--Path of the Rose

 I bought this two weeks ago from Doug Shaver in Kansas City (Crown Chakra)
 for damn cheap...like $11 I think.  That sale may still be on, I'm not sure.
 deshaver at yahoo.com to check.

---I shall. I've been a miser, and very close-minded...

 Keith H. (FAA)

 >>I've got these in stock:
 >>
 >>Darxtar - Daybreak $A25
 >>Spacious Mind - Organic Mind Solution $A33
 >
 >---See, that's what I mean!! I'm not paying $20--$40 for a stinkin' CD! :)
 >Nothing personal, Paul. College students need sustenance just as much as
 >musicians.

 You've got to remember that the Aussie dollar isn't worth anything!  :)  So,
 these prices are quite reasonable.

---That's true; Paul and I have worked our a pretty good deal for these (I
_think_, don't know if he's answered my last offer yet...)

 >BTW: Today's set went pretty well. Set list (if I remember everything):
 >
 >The Brain--Access & Amplify (which I bought at full price recently! As cheap
 >as I may be, I do occasionally buy a CD at regular domestic price.)

 Well, I got this one as a bonus CD in the four-pack Cleopatra repackaged
 collection of "Space Daze" material.  Apparently, the bonus CDs varied from
 pack-to-pack, as others here got something different.  You couldn't actually
 tell what it was until you bought/opened it.  I think it's a pretty decent
 CD, esp. since I got the entire 4CD set for like $22.

---Agreed, I got the Space Box here at Best Buy for the same price; however my
"bonus CD" was Steve Peregrine Took--the Missing Link to T. Rex. The Brain for
a bonus CD? Hey, you can't beat that!

  I also saw the Brain in concert in Pittsburgh (in a converted Catholic
 Church, complete with pews & pipe organ) as one of the opening acts for
 Cluster (the other being Bond Bergland, who did pretty cool solo
 guitar/sequencing stuff).
 I posted a review here I think...maybe in the archives from two years back
 or so.

---Now that I'm keeping an eye out for any of the Turner/Del Rio/Grenas
projects, there don't seem to be any gigs around here; I don't know what
they're all up to presently; hopefulling working on more A. Lights, Brain or
Turner material. And Pressurehed is based in LA, so I figure someone's got to
show soon. I did get Grenas' e-mail address, but as I mentioned, I got no
reply... I'm sure he's plenty busy consid. the number of projects these guys
are usually balancing at once...

 P.S.  I don't think Marc's here at the moment, but his email's mpower at ml.com
 if you want to contact him directly.

 P.P.S.  As far as the amazing number of great underground space/psych bands
 in this country goes, I'm with you, Chuck.  They need more exposure!!  We
 here at Aural Innovations (and that includes Scott, Christian (where are
 you?), and Paul) are doing our best to make folks aware of this great
 stuff!!!  If you go to our homepage
 (http://www.infinet.com/~jkranitz/space/space.html), you can see the maps
 I've made (with links to most bands' sites) that indicate how many there are
 (more every day!!).  And soon I'll have my 'space rock source map' finished
 that will show/link to all of the labels, mail order sites, 'zines, etc.
 that cater to the space/psych community in the US/Canada.  I hope it will be
 helpful to you all.

 P.P.P.S.  Good luck with your show, Chuck, and contact me directly about
 what to do to get CD-R's made of the discs I have, as I believe the 'ends
 justify the means' in this case.  Henderson.120 at osu.edu

---Thanks for all the info. I dunno; I'm reconsidering my approach, as I
mentioned. Plus someone said that having CD-Rs deterred one from ever getting
the real CD, and, as I like to have "the real thing", maybe it's not such a
good idea... I should be able to keep the show fresh, w/the number of CDs I
bring in as is. Esp. since it might only be a 2-hour spot every other week.

 ObUSspacerockCDfortheday:  7% Solution - All About Satellites and Spaceships
 (new one out soon on Lone Starfighter Records in San Antonio, Texas.  You
 can link to their site from ours (Aural Innovations))

 Motto for the day:  "I tithe for Space Rock."  :)

---Hear, hear. Well, I must admit I did fairly well today. Picked up Ozrics'
Erpland for $11.99, a '98 reissue, and a band I've never heard of called The
Big Swifty. Thinking it might have some elements of Zappa, I gave it a listen
at the store, and it turns out to be some pretty creepy and well-done
ambient/psyche. Anyone know anything about this group?

Chuck