Off: 101 adjectives

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Mar 15 14:25:42 EST 1999

> From:          Joseph Brooks <Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>

> In my mind, the two terms are similar... BTO fits either. They always
> reminded me of three trolls under a bridge ("Tra-la-la-la..") :-)
>
> My point... Ponderous = dull & lacking fluency, having great weight (So says
> Webster). Sounds more like Motorhead to me than Rush which I would think of
> as being airy and light both lyrically and musically by comparison. I just
> used Motorhead as an example, relevant to the list. I wasn't picking on
> them. That and I value finesse in music over volume, attitude or aggression.

There is a danger in confusing simplicity with lacking in fluency, as
there is in confusing verbosity with complexity.  Lemmy's lyrics do
seem very simple on the surface, kind of like ZZ Top's, yet a closer
examination reveals that there is a lot of humor present as well.

Remember,  a poem of only ten lines may end up being more profound
than a 500-page novel that doesn't really say much of anything, much
the same way that Albert King could say way more with a handful of
notes than Yngwie could in a lifetime of wheddle-deedling...

theo