Off: 101 adjectives

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Mar 16 10:06:30 EST 1999

>> Lemmy is a true thinker. Not a lick of book smarts, but a Motorhead
>> lyric speaks more truth than most.
>
>     Dunno about book smarts from _school_, but the man is
>supposed to read voraciously.  I think it shows in his lyrics.
>
>     Though he's certainly not the only rocker we've seen who
>has hidden depths!

i'll second that! Another top lost hero of rock'n'roll that any of you with
garage punk leanings who haven't already encountered his stuff is Billy
Childish. over 50? 60? 70? lps of stuff solo/ withe thee milkshakes/mighty
caesars/headcoats/headcoatees/black hands and so on, books of poetry, a
couple of novels, paintings all done in a very down to earth style. Whilst
eschewing verbosity, Billy produces some of the most intense word pictures,
and he just keeps on getting better (esp. on thee headcots stuff). From all
out fun to the startlingly bleak, he's the Robert Calvert of thee garage
punk scene.

andrew