OFF The end of the Rush Debate?

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Mar 16 12:00:59 EST 1999

>I don't think anyone really said that popular acceptance makes Rush a
better band. For my part, the point I was trying to put forth was
that while I've always liked Rush, I've always liked BOC far, far
better...and therefore, I have a grudge against Rush because they
sustained their popularity while BOC didn't. And I think it's
especially unfortunate since Heaven Forbid came out, since it's
jam-packed with stuff that's better by far than any new Rush I've
heard in the past 10 years or more...

--  Nick

OK these are good points but why a grudge against Rush?  Certainly not their
fault.  BOC had their chances and captilized them to the max, just never got
over the top of that mountian to remain at the forefront.  Stones have done
it.  Rush has, somewhat.  Metallica seems to have made it even throw in
Kiss.  For evey band that does you can probably name ten that won't.  Rush
matured and changed yet somehow remianed the same.  Keeping old fans and
recruiting new ones.

>Just for the record, popularity and longevity are indeed irrelevant to the
quality of the music, but I wasn't one of the ones who suggested that in the
first place.  They're measures of success, to be sure, but not musical
quality...

I'd disagree with this.  Quality is subjective, you love Motorhead, I prefer
Savatage.  However when you sustain a long career and sell many records
there has to be some quality there.  People do not buy sh*t just to be
buying sh*t.  Well maybe farmers.

> Therefore, Barbra Streisand is BETTER THAN RUSH!!! >>

With this logic Barbara is better than everyone.

>Based on several arguments posited by BOC-L MEMBERS WHO ALSO LIKE
RUSH, there seems to be a belief among Rush fans that selling many
units and sustaining a career over a long period of time are earmarks
of superiority over BOC.

What else would you call it?  BOC plays clubs and has procduced one album in
10 years.  Rush still sells out arenas and at least 8 albums in that time
frame.  Again the quality of the music is subjective but as an ongoing
commercial product, sorry Rush is superior to BOC.  For the record I own
more BOC albums than Rush.

> Somebody wake me when the BOC vs Rush pissing contest is
over...

Wake up FAQMAN this one has run out of steam.

Ghost in the Ruins