OFF: gig report

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Mar 16 21:42:07 EST 1999

well managed to make it to 2 gigs tonight (the 2nd 4 free by saying "yeah,
weere on the guest list and looking mental - always works :-)

1st one: missed the 3rd band on, saw DBH, standard fare hardcore/
speedmetal, the singer wore an Obituary tshirt which is about the extent of
it. Nothing special but still alright. Main band: Tribute To Nothing. Now,
I'm pretty much old old school when it comes to hardcore
(DKs/Conflict?etc.) but this lot were shit hot, it was kinda 'Now That's
what I call Hardcore' with that little bit extra: unexpected tempo changes,
the occasional backing tapesand the bass'n'drums were rock solid enough to
let the guitarist (it was a 3-piece) try something a little different now
and again. Whilst all that was going on they were still good'n'fast'n'loud.
>From what i can tell from group tastes then Carl (and those who see the
world as he does) would probably dig these guys pretty heavily.

2nd one: Cato, the first band on are always worth seeing: imagine melodic
Spacemen 3 crossed with the Velvets somewhere in the imaginary space
between the 2nd and 3rd albums. Crescendic is the only word i can think of
to describe them, and i just had to make it up. Don't miss 'em! second lot
on: Sasquatch : love the name, bit nonplussed by the sound. As my companion
for the evening put it, "well, they're good background music, at least you
can have a conversation whilst they're on."  And that just aboyt sums 'em
up: drifting acoustic nouveau space rock, not my cup'o'char. But i'm sure
some people love 'em.

later

andrew

"The first time you open your eyes