OFF The end of the Rush Debate?

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Tue Mar 16 23:28:39 EST 1999

"BREVARD, Adrian R." wrote:

> >I don't think anyone really said that popular acceptance makes Rush a
> better band. For my part, the point I was trying to put forth was
> that while I've always liked Rush, I've always liked BOC far, far
> better...and therefore, I have a grudge against Rush because they
> sustained their popularity while BOC didn't. And I think it's
> especially unfortunate since Heaven Forbid came out, since it's
> jam-packed with stuff that's better by far than any new Rush I've
> heard in the past 10 years or more...
>
> --  Nick
>
> OK these are good points but why a grudge against Rush?  Certainly not their
> fault.  BOC had their chances and captilized them to the max, just never got
> over the top of that mountian to remain at the forefront.  Stones have done
> it.  Rush has, somewhat.  Metallica seems to have made it even throw in
> Kiss.  For evey band that does you can probably name ten that won't.  Rush
> matured and changed yet somehow remianed the same.  Keeping old fans and
> recruiting new ones.
<snipedge>

BÖC biggest, and only real problem, was there capitalization practices,
that was the ONLY reason they never made it "over that mountain". I
think if you could surgically remove Mirrors, Revolution, and Club Ninja
from history, they would be a lot more popular today. You are only as
good as your last album, and when BÖC "died" it was in the late 80's,
due to albums like Revolution and Club Ninja. I think if Heaven Forbid
would of been released before the damage was inflicted, even after a 10
year hiatus following ETL, it would of sold millions, how do you English
say it; "this chap was late for his own funeral" :-).

Laj.