BOC: Opening Act for Boston show

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Mar 18 08:22:21 EST 1999

The first band opening for BOC on March 18th in Cambridge is the Johnny
Black Trio.  I hear they are good, and Buck himself has said that they
were instrumental in getting BOC booked at the Middle East.  I found the
following review of their recent album in a local music 'zine:

Johnny Black Trio (Route 9 Records) - *Basic Black* (11-song CD)

A shitload of area scribes have already said it better, but this is a
perfectly swell release from one of the city's more prolific/unsung rock
stiffs.  In fact, clubs have started calling Johnny in response to all
the positive reviews.  You heard that right -- the clubs are calling the
BAND.  Wish I could say the same for a few thousand OTHER local acts.
First off, the sound on this thing is damn near flawless.  The
throb/whack quotient is tempereed by an overall fluidity:  never
gratuitously abrasive, still rocks like a fuck. (Talk about an ad
campaign!  Someone really should be paying me for this.)  Crucial bass
and drum fills are right there when you need them, unlike so many
records where you find yourself muttering, "Geez, if only they'da done
THIS instead..."  And Black has a knack for whipping out sharp,
unforgettable riffs that'll have you playing naked air-guitar in front
of the bathroom mirror.  At their best, the songs themselves dart and
jab like Evander Holyfield with a scrotum full of strychnine, while
never actually veering towards flat-out Macho.  You little grunge
bastards paying attention?  It CAN be done!  Plus, a lot of Black's
lyrics have an everyman/tragicomedy quality which can only be called
uncannily canny.  If I could change one thing, I'd have him transpose a
few of the keys and use his upper vocal register more.  A couple of
numbers almost approach understatement from the lack of a straight-up
holler or two, though this is hardly a complaint.  I'd say the same
thing to Liz Phair, but Liz Phair could fart in a Dixie cup, and I'd
still pay to see it.  Other than that, I'd have only added more songs.
Congrats, Boys!  It's a good 'un! (Joe Coughlin)