Amaze your Swedish friends

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Thu Mar 18 10:42:20 EST 1999

Well, I'm a Swede, albeit an 3rd generation American and I am truly
amazed... :-)

JB

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Johan Edlundh
[mailto:johan.edlundh at HABO.MAIL.TELIA.COM]
                Sent:   Wednesday, March 17, 1999 9:41 PM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
                Subject:        Off: Amaze your Swedish friends

                Amaze your Swedish friends with some astounding sounds!

                Welcome class, to the swedish lesson #26.
                Today we're going to learn the lyrics to probably the most
well known
                swedish drinking song. If you pronounce those english words
100% correct,
                you'll just spoken a 98% correct swedish pronounced "Helan
Gar" - which is
                almost mandatory when drinking vodka. In the next lesson
we're going to
                learn the melody.

                Hell and gore
                Shun gop Father Allan lallan ley
                Hell and gore
                Shun gop Father Allan ley
                For handsome in the hell and tar
                An hell er in the hell and four
                Hell and gore
                Shun gop Father Allan ley.

                You don't understand? Complete rubbish?
                Doesen't matter, be just sure you'll drink the vodka in the
same tempo as
                the swedes. And be sure it's bottom up all the time. You'll
soon understand.

                The correct swedish spelling is below - I've excluded the
umlauts because
                you don't understand them anyway. The entusiastic student
can guess where he
                thinks the å, ä and ö letters will resist. I bet you will
pronounce this
                wrong, if you just use the rows below:

                Helan gar
                Sjung hopp fadderallan lallanlej