OFF: 10 Most hated

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 19 03:08:42 EST 1999

In a message dated 99-03-18 20:24:16 EST, ceres at SIRIUS.COM writes:

<< Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>
 wrote:

 >Oh, I just can't resist this one. Apologies to those who don't care for this
 >sort of thing and fans of those bands on my list.

 Same here; I must have too much pent-up negative energy inside me ...

>>Same here, I'm in an angry mood today, so please pardon me, don't take too
serious, etc, etc...

 >In no particular order (and staying within the general rock genre from the
 >70's thru the 80's):
 >Toto (I'm with ya, Torgo)
 >Styx
 >Journey
 >Boston
 >Foreigner (May qualify for #1 most despised on my list)
 >Loverboy (another contender for the #1 spot)
 >Pat Benetar
 >America/Bread (is there really any difference?)
 >Jackson Browne (Again, I'm with Torgo)
 >Ratt (a close runner up)
 >Poison
 >Duran Duran

The cheesy '70s group that needs to be added to this list for me is
Supertramp, mainly due to the vocals. Though I also hear something like Bad Co
these and can't believe I ever liked them. Or how about this one--when I was
about 8 yrs. old, Clapton's (or was it Derrick and the Dominoes?) "I Can't
Stand It" was being played over and over again, and my sister and I had an
inside joke (of which I'm sure half the nation had used it to) -- something
like "I Can't Stand It"! "What"? "I can't stand hearing this song anymore! Not
that ever liked it in the first place...ironic side-note:
it wasn't 'till well past my classic rock stage and well into my Hawkwind
stage where I finally got really turned on to Cream--all of a sudden I
couldn't stop playing the Best Of album for some reason...Still love it.

 I certainly wouldn't defend any of those bands, but I'd have to leave
 Foreigner (by virtue of using an EML101 synthesizer, same as Alan
 Ravenstine of Pere Ubu, on some of their early records)

---Yeah, and on Chris Thomas/Wooden Birds, a post-Ubu project w/Chris Cutler.
Odd band, PU. I actually never heard them until "Final Solutions" made it
rounds on the HW Covers All Tapes; since then I've picked up a couple of their
albums and one of the Wooden Birds albums, and never really felt compelled to
continue spinning them much; all I can really say is "interesting singer,
interesting sound for its time period).
Another aside: I thought I was gonna be doing a one-hour radio set yesterday
and I decided to play "Final Solution" in tandem w/"Space Is Deep" and then,
w/an ironic tone in my voice, make a comment over the air about how the two
how the two sounded remarkably familiar in some aspects... :) And no, I did
not dubofa-dubofa-dubofa dub from the HW Covers all Tapes,  I found the 7" a
while ago... :)

and Pat Benatar
 (can't slag anyone who covers a Sweet song! Damn - that puts Def Leppard
 and Love & Rockets, two horrible bands, off limits - yuck) off my list.

---If "Cum On Feel the Noise" was Sweet, then add Quiet Riot (a group I'll
admit to liking when I was 11 or so; the lead guitarist, Carlos Cerveso, or
something was my idol for a while; I'd pose in the mirror w/a baseball bat as
my air-guitar...ah, the terrible influence of MTV on a young and malleable
mind.) Or was that Slade?

 Smashing Pumpkins (had to listen to their early stuff when I did college
 radio; I even bought their second 7" on Sub Pop [solely because of the
 label] and thought that it sucked, even before they put an album out)

---Yeah, I've always been particularly rebellious about this sort of thing,
but I think that just has a lot to do w/your own period. You particularly hate
the contemporaries of the bands/styles you loved at the time.

 Depeche Mode (probably only because I had to listen to them because of a
 past girlfriend, but I really can't stand that whiny

---And hence, glam and this sort of thing was detested by me and my metal
buddies. When I hear music that gets on my nerves now, I realize a lot of it
is just that kind of bias.

 oh hell ... I can't even think of anyone else worth the effort ... not even
 Marilyn Manson (fortunately, I've only had to hear his crap once) ... not
 as much negative energy as I thought, I guess ...

---Yeah, you just wanna grab these little punks and show 'em all the older
artists who not only had a similar image, but who also actually had some
musical originality!! I guess MM is somewhat a sign of the times,
though--can't think of anyone in the '70s (though I'm sure some here w/even
more eclectic tastes can) that were quite like MM--Arthur Brown (Crazy World
daze) I kind of thought of as a '60s King Diamond. Actually, come to think of
it, some of Nik's stage apparel these days reminds me a bit of MM... Whoo,
talk about a contrast in quality... yikes... May I never utter those two in
the same sentence again... :)

 and, on Thursday, March 18, 1999 1:48 PM, Torgo Sedler

 >And as for pissing on bands we hate, someone mentioned that we should
 >find a common band that we despise. Well, I think that will be
 >impossible to do, as no matter who is mentioned SOME ninny will stick up
 >for them.

 One of the things I love about this list! The range of opinions is about as
 wide as you can get!

---Amen to that, brother. So much information gets passed around here...it's
all a learning experience...

 >But it would be interesting to see who we really dislike musically. I
 >mean, we pretty much stated our faves when we all did our "dream band" a
 >while back.

 Exactly! No harm in doing the opposite (heh heh ... anyone wanna come up
 with their scariest "nightmare" bands?  I won't - I would *definitely* be
 pissing on some listmembers favorites if I did, as the singer and probably
 drummer would come from the same Canadian power trio ... )

---Thing is, when we get into this territory, for me we're talking about the
so-bad-it's good, or-at-least-funny category. Now, as for worst musicianship,
you really don't have to look much farther than the Mentors--El Duce on
vox/drums, Dr. Heathen Scum on bass and Sickie Wifebeater on bass (again,
please don't lose your sense of humor now, or I'm toast, as even Marylin
Manson might have been offended buy these guys:)). They're the whole super-
lame group already packaged and read to go. Though if one were to add a sax
player...maybe Euclid James Motorhead Sherwood?
Oops, but then we'd have to nominate Space-Ritual era Nik, but I _like_ the
asthmatic water fowl...
Fun thread, this...

         -Doug
          ceres at sirius.com

Rollin' and Tumblin', cause I don't need a job, maxin' and grossin', 'cause I
really wanna play w/the Mothers, Chuck