OFF: hippy cockroach

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Mar 19 07:41:20 EST 1999

this gave me a few laughs when read on the bomp list:

"This is somewhat off topic, but I figured Bomp!ers might be interested to
know that the late Jerry Garcia has recently been immortalised in science by
having a North American cockroach named in his honour. The snippet below is
from the original (web only) publication at

http://www.epress.com/w3jbio/vol4.htm

>Cryptocercus garciai n.sp.
>Etymology: This species is named in memory of the late Jerry Garcia, a
>member of the musical group, The Grateful Dead. What a long strange trip its
>been.
A bit of digging around later I also came across a few other scientific
names which honour other cool (and not so cool) 20th Century musicians:
Aegrotocatellus jaggeri & Perirehaedulus richardsi
Arcticalymene viciousi, A. rotteni, A. jonesi, A. cooki, and A. matlocki
Avalanchurus lennoni, Avalanchurus starri, and Struszia mccartneyi
Mackenziurus johnnyi, M. joeyi, M. deedeei, and M. ceejay - all of these
are trilobites
Villa manillae - a fly
Dicrotendipes thanatogratus - not so obvious, this one. This is a midge,
the second part of the name of which (thanatogratus) is Latin for "Grateful
Dead"
There is also a genus of lace bugs called Petula, named by (of all people)
someone called Clarke. And for those of you with interests in classical
music, there is always Mozartella beethovenii (a wasp).

Brendan"

Stones, Pistols, and Ramones trilobytes :-)
Mama 'll have to buy him a muzzle:
Sit when I say "sit!"
And come when I whistle
-Thee Headcoatees