OFF: 10 Most hated

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Fri Mar 19 11:29:56 EST 1999

Lets see.. lots to consider here...

Foreigner: They are mostly on my list because of two songs which just make
me want to blow up my radio. "Hot Blooded" and, worst of all, that "Juke Box
Hero" song...

Pat Benetar: Again, this is due to one song. "Love is a Battlefield". I
don't know why but that song just bugs me to no end. Not really fair but...

Yes, I'm sort of a geezer and haven't watched MTV on a regular basis since
Martha Quinn was a VJ and the big video was "Girls just wanna have fun".
Also though, I was trying to stick with bands which I consider to come from
the same era as BOC. My own poor attempt to remain on topic I guess.

If we're talking 90's or late 90's, I have to add Korn and Beck (Not Jeff).

JB

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Chuck Rosenberg [mailto:Chuckrecs at AOL.COM]
                Sent:   Friday, March 19, 1999 12:09 AM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
                Subject:        Re: OFF: 10 Most hated

                In a message dated 99-03-18 20:24:16 EST, ceres at SIRIUS.COM
writes:

                << Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>
                 wrote:

                 >Oh, I just can't resist this one. Apologies to those who
don't care for this
                 >sort of thing and fans of those bands on my list.

                 Same here; I must have too much pent-up negative energy
inside me ...

                >>Same here, I'm in an angry mood today, so please pardon
me, don't take too
                serious, etc, etc...

                 >In no particular order (and staying within the general
rock genre from the
                 >70's thru the 80's):
                 >Toto (I'm with ya, Torgo)
                 >Styx
                 >Journey
                 >Boston
                 >Foreigner (May qualify for #1 most despised on my list)
                 >Loverboy (another contender for the #1 spot)
                 >Pat Benetar
                 >America/Bread (is there really any difference?)
                 >Jackson Browne (Again, I'm with Torgo)
                 >Ratt (a close runner up)
                 >Poison
                 >Duran Duran

                The cheesy '70s group that needs to be added to this list
for me is
                Supertramp, mainly due to the vocals. Though I also hear
something like Bad Co
                these and can't believe I ever liked them. Or how about this
one--when I was
                about 8 yrs. old, Clapton's (or was it Derrick and the
Dominoes?) "I Can't
                Stand It" was being played over and over again, and my
sister and I had an
                inside joke (of which I'm sure half the nation had used it
to) -- something
                like "I Can't Stand It"! "What"? "I can't stand hearing this
song anymore! Not
                that ever liked it in the first place...ironic side-note:
                it wasn't 'till well past my classic rock stage and well
into my Hawkwind
                stage where I finally got really turned on to Cream--all of
a sudden I
                couldn't stop playing the Best Of album for some
reason...Still love it.

                 I certainly wouldn't defend any of those bands, but I'd
have to leave
                 Foreigner (by virtue of using an EML101 synthesizer, same
as Alan
                 Ravenstine of Pere Ubu, on some of their early records)

                ---Yeah, and on Chris Thomas/Wooden Birds, a post-Ubu
project w/Chris Cutler.
                Odd band, PU. I actually never heard them until "Final
Solutions" made it
                rounds on the HW Covers All Tapes; since then I've picked up
a couple of their
                albums and one of the Wooden Birds albums, and never really
felt compelled to
                continue spinning them much; all I can really say is
"interesting singer,
                interesting sound for its time period).
                Another aside: I thought I was gonna be doing a one-hour
radio set yesterday
                and I decided to play "Final Solution" in tandem w/"Space Is
Deep" and then,
                w/an ironic tone in my voice, make a comment over the air
about how the two
                how the two sounded remarkably familiar in some aspects...
:) And no, I did
                not dubofa-dubofa-dubofa dub from the HW Covers all Tapes,
I found the 7" a
                while ago... :)

                and Pat Benatar
                 (can't slag anyone who covers a Sweet song! Damn - that
puts Def Leppard
                 and Love & Rockets, two horrible bands, off limits - yuck)
off my list.

                ---If "Cum On Feel the Noise" was Sweet, then add Quiet Riot
(a group I'll
                admit to liking when I was 11 or so; the lead guitarist,
Carlos Cerveso, or
                something was my idol for a while; I'd pose in the mirror
w/a baseball bat as
                my air-guitar...ah, the terrible influence of MTV on a young
and malleable
                mind.) Or was that Slade?

                 Smashing Pumpkins (had to listen to their early stuff when
I did college
                 radio; I even bought their second 7" on Sub Pop [solely
because of the
                 label] and thought that it sucked, even before they put an
album out)

                ---Yeah, I've always been particularly rebellious about this
sort of thing,
                but I think that just has a lot to do w/your own period. You
particularly hate
                the contemporaries of the bands/styles you loved at the
time.

                 Depeche Mode (probably only because I had to listen to them
because of a
                 past girlfriend, but I really can't stand that whiny

                ---And hence, glam and this sort of thing was detested by me
and my metal
                buddies. When I hear music that gets on my nerves now, I
realize a lot of it
                is just that kind of bias.

                 oh hell ... I can't even think of anyone else worth the
effort ... not even
                 Marilyn Manson (fortunately, I've only had to hear his crap
once) ... not
                 as much negative energy as I thought, I guess ...

                ---Yeah, you just wanna grab these little punks and show 'em
all the older
                artists who not only had a similar image, but who also
actually had some
                musical originality!! I guess MM is somewhat a sign of the
times,
                though--can't think of anyone in the '70s (though I'm sure
some here w/even
                more eclectic tastes can) that were quite like MM--Arthur
Brown (Crazy World
                daze) I kind of thought of as a '60s King Diamond. Actually,
come to think of
                it, some of Nik's stage apparel these days reminds me a bit
of MM... Whoo,
                talk about a contrast in quality... yikes... May I never
utter those two in
                the same sentence again... :)

                 and, on Thursday, March 18, 1999 1:48 PM, Torgo Sedler

                 >And as for pissing on bands we hate, someone mentioned
that we should
                 >find a common band that we despise. Well, I think that
will be
                 >impossible to do, as no matter who is mentioned SOME ninny
will stick up
                 >for them.

                 One of the things I love about this list! The range of
opinions is about as
                 wide as you can get!

                ---Amen to that, brother. So much information gets passed
around here...it's
                all a learning experience...

                 >But it would be interesting to see who we really dislike
musically. I
                 >mean, we pretty much stated our faves when we all did our
"dream band" a
                 >while back.

                 Exactly! No harm in doing the opposite (heh heh ... anyone
wanna come up
                 with their scariest "nightmare" bands?  I won't - I would
*definitely* be
                 pissing on some listmembers favorites if I did, as the
singer and probably
                 drummer would come from the same Canadian power trio ... )

                ---Thing is, when we get into this territory, for me we're
talking about the
                so-bad-it's good, or-at-least-funny category. Now, as for
worst musicianship,
                you really don't have to look much farther than the
Mentors--El Duce on
                vox/drums, Dr. Heathen Scum on bass and Sickie Wifebeater on
bass (again,
                please don't lose your sense of humor now, or I'm toast, as
even Marylin
                Manson might have been offended buy these guys:)). They're
the whole super-
                lame group already packaged and read to go. Though if one
were to add a sax
                player...maybe Euclid James Motorhead Sherwood?
                Oops, but then we'd have to nominate Space-Ritual era Nik,
but I _like_ the
                asthmatic water fowl...
                Fun thread, this...

                         -Doug
                          ceres at sirius.com

                Rollin' and Tumblin', cause I don't need a job, maxin' and
grossin', 'cause I
                really wanna play w/the Mothers, Chuck