BOC/OFF: Repercussion of a bad musical trip

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Fri Mar 19 13:46:49 EST 1999

DASLUD at AOL.COM writes:

> well, if you're standing over some beaten and cowering individual then
> "throwing loads of abuse" is doubleplus uncool...THIS WAS UNDERSTOOD or so i
> thought.
>
> there's a scene in an old marvel AVENGERS comic involving their hercules
> character;
> to paraphrase, he's lounging around headquarters when some enemy shows up and
> knocks him across the room. hercules gets up w/a big smile on his face and
> says "oho! you've come to share THE GIFT!" and proceeds to knock the other guy
> across the room...
>
> but i dont think some folks here appreciate the exchange of "gifts"
> here....beating people up suggests the other party is a helpless victim; to
> hell with that>>>the "victim" is supposed to get up and fire back...

Well, you're wrong if you think that I'm objecting to people debating
each other.  "Lively debate" was even written into the original BOC-L
code of conduct (I know, because I wrote it).  Go back to the web
archives, and see if we ever drop our gloves around here.  ;-)

But this recent stuff isn't "debate" according to any definition that
I know.  Dog-piling onto bands that don't have any defenders is just
silly.  I finally got tired of the Styx gang-bang (participated in by
people who have almost certainly only heard their radio hits), and
decided to say something about it.  But this isn't the list to be
debating the merits of bands like Styx, Asia, or Rusted Root, who are
so irrelevant to most of the readers.  So I let the rest of it slide,
because a *real* debate of those subject just doesn't belong here.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com