OFF: 10 Most hated

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Fri Mar 19 15:43:22 EST 1999

Joseph Brooks writes:

> > You know, I don't remember that particular one, but I think it
> > highlights some of what I meant earlier when I talked about how easy
> > it is to slag bands that you think nobody else likes... and be totally
> > wrong and insulting toward other lists members while you're at it.
> >
> > Jeez, nobody has slagged the Beach Boys yet.  Don't you all want to be
> > the first to insult Buck's musical taste?  ;-)
>
> Me! I will! I hate(am annoyed by) the Beachboys, always have. Does that mean
> I like Buck's music any less? No. Does it even mean I think Buck has poor
> taste? No. Does it mean that Buck's taste doesn't match mine and I find the
> differences interesting because I enjoy his own music so much? Yes.

Do you like "Golden Age of Leather"?  ;-)

> When I voice my likes and dislikes, it only mean it as a means of drawing
> out conversation, not as an insult to anyone who disagrees with me.

All I'm proposing is that we not slag subjects who ought not be
discussed here.  None of us wants this list to be cluttered with
"defense of X" where X is every band that some list member doesn't
deserve to be slagged.  And I equally think that it's unreasonable to
say obnoxious things about those bands, knowing that no one will
defend them, because defending them would be a misuse of the list.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com