OFF: 10 Most hated

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 20 06:26:10 EST 1999

In a message dated 3/20/99 5:38:47 AM, cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK writes:

<<        Regardless of Hendrix's opinion, I thought the original
stuff was cool--though of course, I never heard it in context,
just much later whilst growing up.  Heck, it was some guys
singing in harmony some vapid songs about surf, girls, and
cars, with kinda catchy tunes.

funny, y'know, how the beatles could get away with being kinda vapid in their
earliest luv song stuff but the beach boys couldnt...again, it's decades
later, very difficult to conceive of the time when the beach boys and phil
spector & co. were IT...got me no beef w/the beach boys;it's not their fault
disgusting corporate oldies radio has played the same half-dozen songs every
day for years and years>>>

first concert i ever saw: fall '71, phoenix minor league baseeball stadium:
beach boys/taj mahal/half a dozen lesser acts, a benefit for a drug
clinic...got my first whiff of ganja in the air...the beach boys were onstage
longer trying to get the synth to work than they were playing...this would be
right around the time "surf's up"; the capitol "endless summer" comp was still
a few years away..."endless summer" annihilating any remaining chance they had
of being anything but an oldies group...

lb