BOC/OFF: I remember in the good ole days (was repercussions)

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Sat Mar 20 11:45:25 EST 1999

At 10:54 AM 3/20/99 -0500, Steve Swann wrote (well actually before we
re-read that):
This is finally turning into an interesting discussion on whence thingsc
ame tastewise.  Admittedly being one of the instigators of the Styx bashing
stint, I did it primarily on the basis of the PBS special and all PBS
sp[ecials like it, trying to get in touch with the "rock n' roll" PBS is
somehow in tune with.

Semi-ON topic(gasp), I've listened to In Search of Space a dozen times now
and I get the distinct impression that the band of that era were trippy
gypsies. You Shouldnt do that's groove just hits me that way... as does the
rest of the album.  The lemmy era seems remarkably differnt. Which is good!
Not bad!

>I ended up staying on GRUNGE-L for years, and became a big fan not
>only of the music, but the attitude of he fans.
As a complement to your sagacious founding of BOC-L, if it wasn't for the
list theres no way I would have been willing to (or have even been given
the option of) paying quality monetary units for HW, Bevis Frond, and Brain
Surgeons.
Hey, that means I can blame you for depeltuing my bank account! :)   I feel
better now. heh.

>Did you notice how burned out and disinterested the "moshers" and the
>cheerleaders are?  And how dingy and depressing the whole thing is,
>despite the effort to everyone all rah-rah?  There's some serious
>social satire going on in that video.  It was the perfect answer
>to the 80's.
The Weird Al video spoof of the tune is very good too.

>And it hit me like a breath of fresh air when I was suffocating...
>I guess it's just all in the context.  :)

You got that right,. The malleability of music to conform to one;s
external/internal environment, coupled with the wonderful contradictory
positions held on the exact same song by 2 or more people is what makes
rock n' roll far better than sliced bread.

I'll say  it now and then again,
Jason
PS: If any thread on this list deserves a swift and merciful end its the
"Train.." one. Next to this, the dreaded Moose Email Epidemic pales in
comparison :)  But if it turned into a discussion on how wonderful the song
Train Kept a Rollin' is when twice done by the Yardbirds, that would be ok(?)
PPS: The Meltzer "review" was a really interesting peephole into BOC
history. I wonder how much he likes the Brain Surgeons, since he's sorta
doing the same in house writer gig w/ 'em?

"I'm in a FOUL mood today. Stay outa my way or I'll CRITIQUE YOUR ASS to
hell. Just ME,just YOU...a decent song. You wanna see THEM, see THEM. I
don't give a shit." -  Richard Meltzer