HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Mar 20 12:27:22 EST 1999

Okay, as stated this is an attempt to deflect some wrath from Larry's
doorstep. But whilst everyone's sleeves are still rolled up, like a small
child with a stick standing by a hornet's nest i can't resist asking a
question that has been bugging me for quite a while.

Why do people love Live 79 so much? I have *never* been as embarrassed
listening to HW album as i am listening to the clumsy synth ploddings on
Shot Down in the Night. No, to be accurate, i am not embarrassed by any
other HW release. From this low it does at least rise to mediocrity with a
few fairly innocuous versions of old faves. To my ears though the whole
thing (with the exception of Lighthouse which really does shine brightly -
and would do so whatever it was surrounded by) is as eventful as anything
released during the ratheer irksome New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.
        If previous releases had been utterly dire, the maybe it could be seen as
being a return to form of sorts. But we're talking about a sequence that
saw Quark -> PXR5 -> 25 Years On which had the Hawks continuing the
willingness to experiment and extend themselves that IMO began with Hall...
IMO Live 79 sticks out at as a step sideways and backwards into mere metal
mediocrity.
        That's how i see it anyway, so convince me please. What is so great about
Live 79?

andrew (stepping off the soapbox)

Two vicars are grappling,
One pulls a Boston crab