BOC/OFF: I remember in the good ole days (was repercussions)

Sat Mar 20 13:09:52 EST 1999

On lör 20 mar 1999 11.45 -0500 "Bolts of Ungodly Vision" <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET>
wrote:
> This is finally turning into an interesting discussion on whence thingsc
> ame tastewise.  Admittedly being one of the instigators of the Styx
bashing
> stint, I did it primarily on the basis of the PBS special and all PBS
> sp[ecials like it, trying to get in touch with the "rock n' roll" PBS is
> somehow in tune with.

     PBS's rock'n'roll is like VH1 without as many balls ;)

     One of my friends as a teen, a fellow hater of all things
trendy and who turned me on to CCR, was quite into Styx.  I
didn't warm to it, but nevertheless I guess we were young
enough to have missed the original context :)

> Semi-ON topic(gasp), I've listened to In Search of Space a dozen times now
> and I get the distinct impression that the band of that era were trippy
> gypsies. You Shouldnt do that's groove just hits me that way... as does
the
> rest of the album.  The lemmy era seems remarkably differnt. Which is
good!
> Not bad!

     Oh, yeah.  The addition of Lemmy, I think, largely added
weight and speed together.  There's a fairly clear evolution
up to HotMG, which is why I have trouble thinking of "the Lemmy
years" as something totally seperable from the period which
include the first two albums.  _Astounding Sounds_ is where I
mark a big change of style.  Though, definitely, the band
pre-Lemmy is slower and looser and more stretched out.  Well,
just compare the original "MotU" or "Shouldn't Do That" to the
"Lemmified" versions: same basic thing, but faster and louder.

> PPS: The Meltzer "review" was a really interesting peephole into BOC
> history. I wonder how much he likes the Brain Surgeons, since he's sorta
> doing the same in house writer gig w/ 'em?

     Aren't some of the tBS songs fairly recent collaborations
with Meltzer?  One gets the feeling there is still a great
deal of bad blood in the Oyster World ...

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk