HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Mar 20 14:50:12 EST 1999

At 18:48 20/03/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On lör 20 mar 1999 13.35 -0500 "Stephen Swann" <swann at PLUTONIA.COM> wrote:
>> Actually, I get the feeling that this discussion (like most that we've
>> been having here lately) is mostly about the context in which we
>> discovered the music, and how we felt about it at the time - not about
>> any sort of "absolute musical value" that can be assigned to it.
>
>     And what is "absolute musical value"? :)

Whilst avoiding the temptation to get into Kant and the pre-judgemental (in
terms of the intellect) nature of aesthetic judgement in his Critique of
Judgement, let's go with him a little way and accept that aesthetic
judgement is something common to all (as opposed to intellectual judgement
which is something that is probably more reliant on whatever intellectual
tradition one has been brought up in). On the list, i think its pretty safe
to say that, without recourse to the critical faculties, we immediately
share an apprehension of the beauty of early HW. (To 'adapt' Kant a
little): this then becomes the basis for our shared sense community.
        Now to mangle the history of philosophy somewhat. We could refer to this
early period of HW as our Geist (or spirit in the Hegellian sense, as
opposed to the band) and all that folows as Leben (very roughly -
lifeworld). If we take the Geist as a sublime harmony of the senses against
which we are forced to measure the beauty of subsequent HW releases (the
lifeworld we inhabit); then, in this instance we could understand Doremi
(amongst others) as _the_ absolute musical value.
        Hope this clears things up :-)

(excuse me for this, i don't think its netiquette to do this at your own
post, but LOL, it kept me happy for 5 mins!)

i think its time to get on the phone and sort out going out and getting
smashed now...

andrew

Gabba Gabba Hey!
Gabba Gabba Hey!