HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Sat Mar 20 18:57:56 EST 1999

>Why do people love Live 79 so much? I have *never* been as embarrassed
>listening to HW album as i am listening to the clumsy synth ploddings on
>Shot Down in the Night. No, to be accurate, i am not embarrassed by any
>other HW release. From this low it does at least rise to mediocrity with a
>few fairly innocuous versions of old faves. To my ears though the whole
>thing (with the exception of Lighthouse which really does shine brightly -
>and would do so whatever it was surrounded by) is as eventful as anything
>released during the ratheer irksome New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.

I like just about everything on it *except* Lighthouse.  I like most of the
Levitation material (though prefer it with Ginger Baker).

>        If previous releases had been utterly dire, the maybe it could be
seen as
>being a return to form of sorts. But we're talking about a sequence that
>saw Quark -> PXR5 -> 25 Years On which had the Hawks continuing the

I have to agree that it's not as good as the height of the Calvert era....
but then what is?

They botched the lyrics on 'Spirit of the Age', but I still love this version,
if they'd nailed the lyrics right it would be my favorite version.

As for Brainstorm....  how can I put it... originally I didn't like
Brainstorm,
despite having a number of versions, including the one on Space Ritual.
The first
time I liked it was when listening to Live '79.  Once that one broke the
barrier,
so to speak, I went back and listened to other versions and saw what I was
missing.
Not quite sure why that one did the trick...

>        That's how i see it anyway, so convince me please. What is so
great about
>Live 79?

(shrug).  I like it.  I probably listen to it more than anything else they
would come
up with until Live Chronicles.  I ain't gonna try to convince you, if you
don't like
it then you don't and that's that.

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold