ADMIN/OFF: What's happened?

Goran Janicijevic simplius at SOFTHOME.NET
Sun Mar 21 05:40:07 EST 1999

Keith Henderson wrote:

>By the way, I hate Eudora.  I used to do email on old 286's (the only thing
<snip>
>I'm just a dumb geochemist anyway, and have never owned a computer.  The
>ones I use at work are always hand-me-downs (always two generations
>old...now *finally* a Pentium I at least, though with Windows 3.11 still).

OK, I have info what system you use. If you hate Eudora (the newest
3.x light version is less clumsy than the older), try with 16-bit
Pegasus 3.01, or find the 16-bit Internet Explorer 3.03, with bundled
Internet Mail (very recommended if you don't want to mess too much
with the program). All these versions are freeware, and have
filtering.

>I don't think so.  I don't want to filter anything anyway.  I 'filter' what
>I want by not reading it.  Keeping up with the Jonses in the computer world
>is not my bag...in fact, I tend to resist only but the most substantive

It looks you got a wrong impression from my reply what filtering is
about.  :-) It's a very neat feature. Not (only) for deleting
unsolicited mail and twits, but more likely for filing the posts from
mailing lists in appropriate folders, when you download mail. For
example, you make a folder with a name BOC-L, and setup the all posts
with header To:BOC-L to go in that folder, instead Inbox.

Otherwise, if you are subscribed to more than one mailing list, the
Inbox contents become a nightmare.

I think you can manage it easily, or get a help from some colleague of
yours how to set it up. Anyway, I would be glad to help you (of
course, in private mail); normally, first get one of those programs I
mentioned in the first paragraph.
--
Goran