BOC/OFF: Repercussion of a bad musical trip

Sun Mar 21 15:25:50 EST 1999

Carl said

>      Actually, it has been my perception that liking Hawkwind
[...]
> lose street cred in the UK (being perceived of as old drug-adled
> nutters who play one chord songs for half-an-hour at a go to
> untrendy bikers).  Or such is the vibe I get.

That is a hugely accurate statement.  (You're just getting acclimatised and
you're about to bugger off! :)

OTOH, a few years ago, I was watching some bozo program, probably on MTV, in
which people in the street were asked what they were listening to on their
Walkmans (Walkmen?), and this black dude, who you'd have expected from his
general dress and demeanour to say "Public Enemy" or something (this *was* a
few years ago), said "Hawkwind"!  Sadly they didn't pursue it.

>      Ah, and by the time I heard it, it was all over MTV,
> the trend-hoppers were there, and I had to hate it.

You'll know when you're really secure in your musical tastes, when you can
buy a top ten album *just because you like it*, and not be embarrassed by
it... :)

- Andy