OFF: London visit

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 22 06:51:08 EST 1999

Bernhard Pospiech writes:

> Hi
>
> I am visiting with my wife London next week for 3 days (24.3 - 26.3)
>
> Can you UK (London) folks help me with some hints where I could get some
> good and rare HAWKWIND stuff, especially tapes and posters and maybe teeshirts

Here's the trail I used to take in central London. Some of the shops may
no longer be there and you may want to ignore the branches of the
commercial outlets.

To do the lot you need a Zone 6 day pass for the Tube if I remember correctly.

Start at Kings Cross
--------------------

Metropolitan Line West to Ladbroke Grove
  {cross to Portobello Road and turn left, checking market stalls}
  Honest Jon's, 278 Portobello Road
  Youngblood, 297 Portobello Road (almost opposite Honest Jon's)
  Vinyl Solution, 231 Portobello Road
  Plastic Passion, 2 Bleinheim Crescent (off Portobello Road)
  Rough Trade, 130 Talbot Road (off Portobello Road)
  {turn right at bottom of Portobello Road}
  Record & Tape Exchange, 28 Pembridge Road
  {turn right at end of Pembridge Road for Our Price}
  {turn left at end of Pembridge road for Book/CD shop and tube}

  => Notting Hill Gate

District Line South to Kensington High Street
  { commercial record shop on way to Tower records}
  Tower Records, 62-64 Kensington High Street
  {Other side 51 Kensington High street is a market}

  => Kensington High Street

District Line South to Wimbledon
--------------------------------
  Big Star, 130 The Broadway
  {walk down the Broadway and Merton Road to South Wimbledon Tube}

  => South Wimbledon

Northern Line NorthEast to Balham
---------------------------------
  Magic Mixture Records, 31 Bedford Hill
  Record Corner, 27 Bedford Hill

  => Balham

Northern Line NorthEast to Clapham Common
  Zippo Music, 39 Clapham Common

  => Clapham Common

Northern Line Northeast to Angel
--------------------------------
  Our Price in Upper Street
  Reckless Records, 79 Upper Street

  => Angel

Northern Line NorthWest to Camden Town
--------------------------------------
  Camden Market, Camden High Street
  Out on The Floor, 234 Camden High Street
  Rhythm Records, 281 Camden High Street
  Record & Tape Exchange, 229 Camden High Street
  Rock On, 3 Kentish Town Road
  Vinyl Experience, 3 Buck Street (Near camden Market)

  => Camden Town Tube

Northern Line South to Leicester Square
---------------------------------------
  {Walk up on left on Charing Cross Road towards Tottenham Court Road}
  {Turn left before Shaftesbury Avenue for Steve Sounds in a back Street}
  {Turn left on Shaftesbury avenue then right on Rupert Street}
  Cheapo, Cheapo Records, 53 Rupert Street
  {Head up Rupert Street, checking market into Berwick Street}
  Reckless Records, 30 Berwick Street
  Cross from Berwick Street to Wardour Street
  {St Anne's Court is a small lane between wardour St and Dean St}
  Shades Records Basement, 12 St Anne's Court
  {Head up Dean Street into Oxford Street}
  Virgin, 8-16 Oxford Street
  {Go to end of Oxford St, Turn left up Tottenham court Road}
  Our Price, on left
  {Turn left around here for Hanway Street}
  Vinyl Experience, 20 Hanway Street
  On The Beat, 22 Hanway Street
  Rocks Off. 36 Hanway Street
  {Back into Oxford Street, turn right}
  HMV Main Branch, 150 Oxford Street
  {keep going on Oxford Street towards Marble Arch}
  HMV in Oxford St near Marble Arch

  => Marble Arch

Central Line East to Oxford Circus
Change for Bakerloo Line South for Picadilly Circus
  Tower Records has entrance in Tube Station

  {Cross to Coventry Street for Our Price near Trocadero Centre}

  => Picadilly Circus to finish.