HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Mon Mar 22 09:08:40 EST 1999

At 13:35 20/03/99 -0500, Stephen Swann wrote:
>andrew writes:
>And you know, I honestly don't know when the change of heart happened.
>It started certainly with Spirit of the Age, the Live 79 version being
>probably my favorite-ever rendition of that one.

This is just too weird.  To me, that seems the prime example of a how a
great track was reduced to plodding heavy metal.  The spaciness of the
original is lost; not lost in space but lost without space.

As for the rest of the album, the versions of Brainstorm and MotU are both
fine. In fact I prefer them to the originals, though the Space Ritual
versions remain the classic renditions.  Lighthouse was better on Blake's
studio album.

Linking with another thread, at the time, I loved the exploding Silver
Machine, and was really glad they'd laid it to rust in the garage.  (I was
really disappointed when it reappeared on Choose Your Masques).  Now it's
not such a bug-a-boo; I enjoyed the version on the Alien tour.

Dave.

Languages Group Manager.
Harlequin Ltd., Lismore House, 127 George St, Edinburgh, EH2 4JN, UK.
Tel: +44 131 240 6106.