HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Mon Mar 22 09:57:11 EST 1999

Dave Berry writes:

> At 13:35 20/03/99 -0500, Stephen Swann wrote:
> >andrew writes:
> >And you know, I honestly don't know when the change of heart happened.
> >It started certainly with Spirit of the Age, the Live 79 version being
> >probably my favorite-ever rendition of that one.
>
> This is just too weird.  To me, that seems the prime example of a how a
> great track was reduced to plodding heavy metal.  The spaciness of the
> original is lost; not lost in space but lost without space.

Well, I *like* plodding heavy metal, ;-) but I have no idea how you
classify the Live '79 version of Spirit of the Age as that.  Part of
the reason I like it is because it's so open and airy sounding...
it just sounds like concert on a summer night (I have no idea when
or where it was really recorded).

> As for the rest of the album, the versions of Brainstorm and MotU are both
> fine. In fact I prefer them to the originals, though the Space Ritual
> versions remain the classic renditions.  Lighthouse was better on Blake's
> studio album.

See, I like the Doremi version of Brainstorm the best, followed by the
"police bust" version (from "Do Not Panic" I think).  I like the
Live Chronicles version of MotU and the ISoS version about equally,
though they're practically completely different tunes.  ;-)

So what does this tell us?  Nothing!  :)

Steve
swann at plutonia.com