OFF: 10 MOST HATED

Stuart Hamilton stuarthamilton at CONNECTFREE.CO.UK
Mon Mar 22 12:11:07 EST 1999

Carl Edlund Anderson cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk wrote
> The Beatles - sloppy songwriters, poor musicians, vastly overrated.

>Yeah, but I liked a lot of their records anyway.  I _was_ born after they broke up :)

Well, I was 4, so my musical taste was pretty well defined by then.  I
suspect my antipathy is tainted by 30 years of fawning reverence.  Too
many polls claiming St Pepper as the greatest album of all time, by
people who who should know better.

> The Stones - average r'n'b band who may have been adequate were it not
> for that most heinous of posturing prats, Mick Jagger

>I never bought any of their albums, but they have some songs I like :)

Likewise, sitting in the pub, someone puts "Brown Sugar" on the jukebox,
and my foot will tap:-)  But talk about overstaying your welcome!  It's
nigh on 25 years since they made a listenable record.

> Queen - bandwagoneering, pompous, no morals - how could anyone tolerate
> them after the Live Aid / One World showboating - remember Sun City?

> I never bought any of their albums either, but ... this is rock'n'roll and we're going to worry about people being pompous

True, but it's probably the hypocrisy that grates, rather than the
morals.  If morals were a problem for me, I would be listening to
nothing but Cliff Richard.  Bye bye Hawkwind, Motorhead, Black Sabbath
and every other rock band that liked a toke.  Farewell AC/DC and every
other band that liked a drink.  And what would I do with my huge Ted
Nugent collection:-)
and amoral!? ;)

SAH-
Zeitgeist - Reflections Of The Underground
PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK
e-zine and freezine
http://www.zeitgeist-scot.com