OFF: GARRRUNNNGGGG!!!

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Mar 22 15:23:43 EST 1999

Jon said...

><Carl>  Gee, kinda like "grunge", I guess :}  Except more colourful :)
>
>        Can't help laughing at that... When grunge hit the news in the UK
>it was mostly Nirvana, though there were some long-haired disreputable
>types who got very upset at the way Nirvana had hijacked the phenomenon
>when people like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, who somehow 'deserved'
>success more, were being left behind.

I assume you only mean at the beginning of Nirvana's rise.  Certainly, Pearl
Jam and AiC have received more success than they ever deserved as well.

I always thought the alternative movement (not necessarily grunge per se)
began well before 'Seattle' days, originally in Minneapolis with the
Replacements, Husker Du, and Soul Asylum.  And also in LA.  Jane's Addiction
eventually, but also the Minutemen/fIREHOSE and X (I guess..dunno much about
'em)...and anyone on SST.  The Seattle/Portland bands just dumbed it down
until it was consumable by the masses.  The final result:  Matchbox 20!!

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  Yes, Soul Asylum was once fairly good, before they ever got the idea
of writing something as awful as 'Runaway Train.'