OFF: Beatles

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue Mar 23 08:41:52 EST 1999

O.K., since I've been in somewhat rare form this week, I'm going to use
this opportunity to say - DON'T BE PICKING ON THE BEATLES!

No, I can't say I'm a huge fan, and yes, their overall musicianship
could be questioned, and some of their songwriting is less than stellar
(some of it obviously written under the influence of drugs -- then
again, some of their best work was probably also written under the
influence), but I would say that:

1.  For their time, the Beatles were revolutionary in many ways

2.  Their influence on the music that came after them is probably as
great as anyone's in the last 30 years.

Now, I was too young to have listened to the Beatles in the 60s.  In
fact, it was only about 3 years ago that I took much notice of them.  I
was mostly intrigued to learn more about Paul McCartney's bassplaying.
Through some study of their music, and in reading a book or two about
the band, I came to realize the affect they had on their time, and on
those that would come after them.

As an interesting aside - I saw some old video footage of KISS.  They
were big fans of the Beatles - especially Gene Simmons.  And, it shows
in their old performances - Gene used to bounce up and down while
singing just like John Lennon used to do, and some of his "hair-shaking"
(before he made flicking his tongue his trademark) is very reminiscent
of the Beatles.  It's actually quite amusing in retrospect.

While you might listen to an album like "Revolver" or (especially) "Sgt.
Pepper" in the 90s and think, "oh, that's not so great" - remember that
this stuff was revolutionary at the time.  Hey, looking back on it, some
might say that "Tyranny and Mutation", when listened to today doesn't
sound that special -- yet many of us BOC fans not only think it's great,
but that it was the true genesis of speed metal.  But, try convincing
some 18-year-old kid that grew up on Nirvanna and Metallica that...

By the way, I believe that Les Braunstein in particular, but probably
most of the Soft White Underbelly was heavily influenced by the Beatles'
"Sgt. Pepper".  I keep saying this, but perhaps Al Bouchard can
enlighten us further...

Hey Al - I know you're making a new album and all, but feel free to jump
in!  ;-)

John