Beatles

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Tue Mar 23 11:03:40 EST 1999

Hmm.. I'm with you on the Beatles but.. You have a problem with musicians
that use(d) drugs? Do you think BOC was clean & sober back in the day? Or is
it just that you feel that the songs, having been influenced by drugs are
the poorer for it? Just wondering, not advocating or condemning drug use.

I remember the 2nd or 3rd time I saw BOC (1975 or so) someone threw a
handful of joints on stage. Joe and Allen picked one up each and smoked it
right there on stage.. I can't recall if the others had any or not. To our
smoke addled 16 year old brains, this seemed extremely cool.

My point is, drugs have a major impact on many many bands and thus on their
material as well. You know this I'm sure.

The Beatles were on speed and pot as far back as the Help days at least. I
read that they were all stoned out of their minds during the filming of
Help. Revolver was (according to Lennon) the first album influenced by LSD.

Which reminds me of one of the most intense experiences of my life, seeing
BOC live while on a tab of good LSD. Peaking on acid as they played
"Telepaths" and "Astronomy" was an almost religious experience. This was in
an old hall in San Diego which had sort of a gothic motif which always
reminded me of the inner sleeve of OYFOOYK. More than 20 years ago and it
still gives me the heebie-jeebies...

JB "I've lived upon the edge of chance for 20 years or more..."