BOC: Cultosaurus "Re-Master"

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue Mar 23 11:49:47 EST 1999

I just got my copy of the European CE re-release of "Cultosaurus
Erectus".  While it is a superior product to the original CD release of
CE, I wouldn't necessarily recommend people hunting it down.  I mean, if
you are a collector, or if you really want the (slightly) expanded liner
notes, or if you just have to have the full down-beat on "Deadline",
then go for it.  But, if you are expecting a tranformation similar to
Mobile Fidelity's re-mastering of "Agents of Fortune", you won't find it.

I'm not trying to knock the release - I don't think Sony (on their
"Rewind" label) was trying to do what Mobile Fidelity did.  Further, the
original CD release of CE, despite the glitch with "Deadline", is
sonically very good.  So, the sonic differences between the two CDs is
not that noticeable.  There seems to be a bit more bass on the new
version, but I keep wondering if it's just because I want to hear a
difference.  Actually, the word "Remaster" appears no-whear on the CD
(despite the fact that that's what the dealers list it as).  The only
indication is a small label on the back in the corner with the words:
"SBM - Super Bit Mapping".

Still, it is a nice product.  The cover artwork is a bit darker, with a
less yellow-ish tint -- it makes those snow-covered mountains look even
colder.  As mentioned before, the BOC symbol does not appear on the
spaceship (as it didn't on the original UK release of CE), but you
really can't make it out on the original CD either.  There are 2 photos
in the liner notes that I assume were in the original LP (I never had
the LP - kinda wish I still had the 8-track!) and a nice reproduction of
the Cultosaurus on CD tray (everyone's making the trays clear these days...).

I'm not dissappointed with the release, but I realize that some people
will not feel the need to replace their original CE CD.  As a European
release, it's not like it's being marketed for folks in the U.S. anyways
- just one of those things the die-hard collectors have to have...

John

John A. Swartz - The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA - jswartz at mitre.org

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to Anger.   Anger leads
to Hate.
Hate leads to SUFFERING."  -- Yoda (Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace)