HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Mar 23 12:13:50 EST 1999

DASLUD at AOL.COM writes:

> In a message dated 3/22/99 10:35:06 AM, fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK writes:
>
> <<> See, I like the Doremi version of Brainstorm the best
>
> You really should hear the Live '72 version of this from the Brian
> Matthews LP.

> vas is dis den??

It's one of the BBC Transcription discs. These were the means by which
the BBC managed to simultaeneously broadcast shows nationwide. Basically
"live" recordings would be put onto disc from which 24 LP's would be
printed - one for each local broadcasting station. They'd be played on
air and then smashed with a hammer to preserve asrtist copyright. Some
naughty DJ's, concluding that some of these bands might be rather more
famous than currently, salted them away as a retirement fund. These
eventually then ended up with traders and ultimately, fans.

Two "Hawkwind" transcription discs are known of. One is the disc
recorded as the bootleg CD "Space Rock From London" which is the same
gig, though not the same mix, as the Windsong BBC CD. Why there's a
difference is something of a mystery. At one point I knew the
whereabouts of five copies of this.

The other is a transcription disc of an episode of the Brian Matthews
"Top of the Pops" radio show, not to be confused with the BBC television
show of the same name. This would consist of "live" recordings and
interviews of bands as well as plays of their current hits. One disc
contains two tracks by Hawkwind: "Silver Machine" and "Brainstorm".
Reckoning from the other items on the disc: a somng by Mary Kelly, the
Beegees and an interview with Paul McCartney shortly after Wings first
foreign tour, I'd guess that the recording is probably from 2nd August
1972 at London Maida Vail, which the BBC are known to have recorded.

This does give rise to speculation as to whether this was the lineup
recorded for Hawkwind's appearance on the television show of the same
name. The band had refused to mime to Silver Machine, as was customary
with hits on the television show, and instead told the BBC to record
them live. Film of the band live appeared, but with the sound from the
single being played.

Brainstorm from the LP is a fairly upbeat version. Silver Machine is
interesting because at this point they had Lemmy singing the lyrics. For
the single Lemmy's vocals were overlayed on Calvert's. version recorded
at the Roundhouse in 1972.

I know of only one copy of this LP in rthe hands of fans.

> lb

FoFP