Off: Drugs and music Was: RE: Beatles

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Tue Mar 23 14:13:54 EST 1999

Drug use is one thing, abuse is another. I was a heavy drug user in my youth
but lost interest in it when I hit 30 or so (having children will do that to
you..).

The reason I caught on that part of the post is, I had recently had a
discussion with someone who would not or could not accept that drugs had a
large impact on the rock music of today.

Here's a good question for y'all... Would the Beatles have had the same
success without the chemically induced boost to their creativity? Would the
Grateful Dead ever have been successful as they were without LSD? (If you
don't understand that connection, I refer you to Tom Wolfe's _Electric
Kool-aid Acid Test_). Think about someone like Jimi or Jim Morrison without
the drugs.. It makes ya wonder...

Oh and alchohol IS a drug, make no mistake.

..and, never having done drugs is nothing to be ashamed of....

JB