HW: LEMMY REMEMBERS

Stuart Hamilton stuarthamilton at CONNECTFREE.CO.UK
Wed Mar 24 14:44:02 EST 1999

There's another rock glossy doing the rounds called 'rock sound'.  I
picked a copy up while passing through Manchester purely for the cover
CD, but there was a full page given over to Lemmy on the 5 bands that
changed his life.  They were;
1]  The Beatles (pah!):-)
2]  Jimi Hendrix
3]  Hawkwind
4]  MC5
5]  The Who (hurrah!)

And here's what he had to say about HW.

"I was in Hawkwind for 5 years and they changed my perception of what
you could do onstage.  I'd never been in a band that played for 2 and a
half hours without stopping before and I'd never done so much acid or
smoked so much dope.  It was also the first time I'd worked with a big
light show.  We used to have 18 projectors, 4 dancers and strobes on the
crowd.  We also had this instrument that would go into really high
frequencies that you couldn't hear but would make you lose your balance
and fall over, plus another one that was so low that it would loosen
your sphincter muscle and make you shit yourself.  That was fun for the
audience.  We used to have people having epileptic fits.  I mean we
weren't very gentle with our audience.  People used to think we were
like Pink Floyd but we weren't!"

What nice people.  Oh, and it also mentions that there's another MH tour
lined up for October.

Mind you I wouldn't buy the magazine again.  They pick their 50
favourite rock albums, with "Back In Black" being first out the bag.  I
quote;

"Back In Black was recorded when original singer Bon Scott was still in
the band before his death due to rock'n'roll excess...the power of Shoot
To Thrill, Rock'n'Roll Singer....."

So not only is Bon still alive but they revived a song off "High
Voltage".  Doesn't give you musch faith in anything else they write.

SAH
NP Ottorino Respighi - Three Botticelli Pictures performed by the
Philharmonia Orchestra!
--
Zeitgeist - Reflections Of The Underground
PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK